PowerPrep Tests vs. Practice Tests in GRE Super Power Pack PDF

aga412

I have taken two of the practice tests in the Super Power Pack (PDF form) and scored very high on the verbal (165 and 164, respectively). My quant has been eh (152 to 159, respectively) on the PDF practice tests. I took PowerPrep today and only got 160 on verbal (somewhat lower than expected) and 158 on quant (around what I would expect given the last PDF test had me at 159).

Is verbal generally easier in the PDF practice tests than in PowerPrep? Or am I just crossing my fingers that I had an off day when it came to verbal? PowerPrep 1's verbal seemed a lot more confusing to me than verbal sections on Magoosh and the Super Power Pack practice tests. What has been everyone else's experiences here?

Thank you all in advance!

Edited by aga412
Wanted to add in a thank you.

• 1 month later...

Magoosh's verbal, like that of any third-party company, is irrelevant due to lack of realism.

But your question is a good one. The PDF and Powerprep are essentially the same deal, but the Powerprep is more realistic since it's presented in the same format as the real exam.

The PDF tests you took are all over the place with difficulty, whereas a real GRE or Powerprep section is clustered around a certain difficulty (easy, medium, or hard). Plus, scores can vary by a few points due to missing an extra question or two.

To get the very most realistic diagnostic, use Powerprep Plus tests 1 and 2 (the ones that are $40 each). But I'd use these judiciously, since there are only 4 total Powerprep tests.