Advice for oosting my chances for Statistics grad programs without a Math B.S.

I'm finishing up my senior year at a young and small state school near the Bay Area. I'm an Environmental Science B.S major with a Statistics minor. Over the past couple years I've recognized that I'm really passionate about quantitative analyses and have taken all the statistics courses I could. 

I'd really like to go to graduate school for an Applied Stats program, but feel a little discouraged because I don't have much of a math background. It seems like most programs want at least Calc 3 and Linear Algebra, but prefer students to have a Real Analysis class. I have only taken Calc 1 (C+) and Calc 2 (B+), both early in my college career-- I'm sure I could've done better had I taken those classes when I was more mature. I currently have a 3.80 GPA and have aced all the stats courses I've taken (Generalized Linear Models, Nonparametric Statistics, Experimental Design). I've gotten a 4.0 for my last three semesters and am working hard to get a 4.0 for my last semester. I have one research experience in bioinformatics at a well recognized RO1 school. 

I was hoping to get some advice for someone in my position. Right now I'm looking for jobs and internships took get involved in after I graduate. I also plan to take Linear Algebra (this seems to be slightly more preferred by grad schools than Calc 3?) in the summer and Calc 3 in the fall. From browsing online, it seems like applying to a MS program is the better option for me. I also plan to do the best I can on the GRE. There are a couple MS Applied Stats programs I've seen that seem ok with just Linear Algebra and a year of Calc. I think those might be the ones I want to focus on. 

How does my plan sound? Should I skip another year (and apply in Fall 2020) and focus on adding more math classes? Do I have a chance at a decent program? 

Thank you

It might not hurt to reach out to one of your professors in stats and ask them what they think. They could probably give you the best insight into it. That said, my coworker has a masters in biostatistics after being a neurologist in from another country. He mentioned there are a lot of international students and was under the impression that Americans aren't often drawn to apply for the programs. He could be totally mistaken, but I think getting the application requirements done and having a minor in statistics is totally acceptable if not normal.

I haven't quite figured out the type of job I'd like to go into, but I enjoy performing regression analysis and linear models. Doing that type of analysis for something environmental related for a government agency would be sweet (and relate to my BS), but I think I'd be just as happy performing similar analyses for a completely different field/industry. 

I was under the impression that the PhD was mostly for people who wanted to work in academia and wouldn't matter for most industry/government jobs. I'm not really interested in working in academia.

Out of curiosity, why would getting a masters not help me get into a PhD program? Since I lack the math background competitive PhD applicants have, I would have figured that a Master's would overcome my disadvantage by showing that I'd be capable of studying stats in graduate school. 

I really appreciate your insight. Thank you.

It sounds like a Masters in Statistics or Biostatistics is the best choice for you at this time. You don't need a lot of math to get into an MS program -- just Calc I-III and basic linear algebra.

If you decide later that you might want to do a PhD, you should take real analysis in your Masters program.

In most cases, an applied masters program is not going to have any real theory courses.  If you don’t take any theoretical stat courses in your program you aren’t going to look (or be) any more prepared for the harder theory PhD courses than you are now. 

It depends on what school you are applying to. The top 30 schools not only favor the applicants to have completed the lower division linear algebra, but also proof based linear algebra (upper division) and at least a course in real analysis. Getting a high GPA in a less known university is a disadvantage because they don't know how rigorous the program is. Stats classes (at least at UCLA) tend to be much easier than Math, they are not easy, but easier than Math classes. Most math majors at UCLA can easily ace the stats courses while struggling in math courses, so doing good in Math looks better than doing good in Stats and bad in Math. But you can try to take the two classes I mentioned and as many more as you can to prove your math skills, and try your best on GRE. Good luck!