Portland State University English MA admissions and funding poll

Portland State University English MA admissions and funding poll  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Poll for other Portland State University Fall 2019 applicants. Trying to weigh my options before the April 15th deadline and not knowing for certain what the funding situation will be makes it practically impossible! Any information would make me (and I'm sure other stressed-out applicants) indebtedly grateful!🤩

• Admitted with funding: Plan on accepting offer
    • Admitted with funding: Have already accepted offer
    • Admitted with funding: Plan on rejecting offer
    • Admitted with funding: Have already rejected offer
    • Admitted with funding: Still unsure
    • Admitted and waitlisted for funding: Plan on accepting offer
    • Admitted and waitlisted for funding: Have already accepted offer
    • Admitted and waitlisted for funding: Plan on rejecting offer
    • Admitted and waitlisted for funding: Have already rejected offer
    • Admitted and waitlisted for funding: Still unsure
    • Admitted and not offered any funding: Plan on accepting offer
    • Admitted and not offered any funding: Have already accepted offer
    • Admitted and not offered any funding: Plan on rejecting offer
    • Admitted and not offered any funding: Have already rejected offer
    • Admitted and not offered any funding: Still unsure

Poll for other Portland State University Fall 2019 applicants. Trying to weigh my options before the April 15th deadline and not knowing for certain what the funding situation will be makes it practically impossible! Any information would make me (and I'm sure other stressed-out applicants) indebtedly grateful!?

I did my MFA at PDX and received my offer of funding (the GAship, which I think, other than the Peer Mentor program, which you can apply for once you enroll, is the only form of funding in the MA/MFA programs) several weeks after I was accepted (this was in 2015). They generally take about 3-5 MAs and 1 MFA in each strand (3 total) per year, but it varies based on how much money the department currently has. I don't know how many they currently have rn. They're also doing a new thing where you can apply for the GAship in your second year if you're not offered it your first year. The GAship works out to being tuition remission + about $780-860 stipend per month--which wasn't fantastic--but maybe it's increased. 

hmu if you have more q's

Oh, also––if you accept, there's also the possibility of being offered funding mid-summer if you agree to enroll but aren't offered funding. Many folks turned it down and those who were silently waitlisted were bumped up.

39 minutes ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

Oh, also––if you accept, there's also the possibility of being offered funding mid-summer if you agree to enroll but aren't offered funding. Many folks turned it down and those who were silently waitlisted were bumped up.

Thank you for all the info! That is super helpful to know. Do you know if Peer Mentors receive the same funding (tuition remission + stipend) as those with a GAship? I'd assume it is probably less but... ?I am second in line for a GAship but that obviously doesn't guarantee anything, making a decision difficult. You said many people turned it down... do you mean the funding/GAship or the admission offer? If the prior, just out of curiosity, do you know why people chose to turn it down? Again, thank you!!

Edited by A_N_M

16 hours ago, A_N_M said:

Thank you for all the info! That is super helpful to know. Do you know if Peer Mentors receive the same funding (tuition remission + stipend) as those with a GAship? I'd assume it is probably less but... ?I am second in line for a GAship but that obviously doesn't guarantee anything, making a decision difficult. You said many people turned it down... do you mean the funding/GAship or the admission offer? If the prior, just out of curiosity, do you know why people chose to turn it down? Again, thank you!!

totally! As far as I know, Peer Mentors receive the same funding. The stipend might be smaller, but unfortunately I'm not sure! I only knew two people who funded their MFA (not MA) that way. The only problem is it wouldn't be something you could start immediately, I don't think, like the GAship. 

I knew quite a few people who turned down the GAship/funding but still attended. I think they were daunted by being thrown into teaching right away and by the small stipend. I think others turned it down because they had other gigs, or wanted to extend the program beyond 2 years. Most I know who turned it down were MFAs, so it might be different for the MAs who receive it/decide on attending or accepting the funding. I'm not sure the stats on who often turns that down. I do definitely know the number of GAs isn't necessarily set in stone at this point, so you should still have hope!

• 1 month later...

Hi! Just wanted to update everybody that I've been offered the GA ship as of today. I hate to make everybody wait, but I'm still waiting on BU to notify me about their waitlist. Sadly I think I won't find out til April 15th :( I'm sorry to hold a spot. I've also been accepted to villanova with more funding, so if I get rejected from BU, there is a high chance I will decline Portland State. I promise as soon as I find out I will alert PSU!