Northwestern University

I'm super excited to have been accepted here but am kinda panicking about the tuition. Northwestern was my top choice but I'm not sure I want to be in that much debt! But I also don't want to regret not going since it was my top choice!! Anyone else feeling the same or know how current/past students are managing to pay?

This. They say they can estimate that most people have received 20-30% scholarships in the past, but that is still very expensive. (Also, the viral video of that person with the $225k debt was an SLP student who attended Northwestern for grad school -- which is scary). They do have amazing connections though, but I couldn't justify paying that much for a University's name... Let's hope they're generous with scholarships.

Damn. That is very real. I’ll have to attend the open house to see if it’s really worth the price. Northwestern is my top choice as well. I feel like whether it’s worth it or not depends on what you want to do after graduating. If you plan to pursue a PhD and want to do research or work in academia in the future than a degree from NU does actually mean something. If being a school slp is your career goal than attending NU might not be the best idea. Just my opinion

4 minutes ago, BADASSALICE said:

Damn. That is very real. I’ll have to attend the open house to see if it’s really worth the price. Northwestern is my top choice as well. I feel like whether it’s worth it or not depends on what you want to do after graduating. If you plan to pursue a PhD and want to do research or work in academia in the future than a degree from NU does actually mean something. If being a school slp is your career goal than attending NU might not be the best idea. Just my opinion

While I agree Ph.D.'s programs do care more about what research/experience you've had and the name of your graduate school, I still think it's tough to justify their price tag. Again, we will have to see what NU offers after they send official funding information, but there are plenty of bigger-name state schools (and even cheaper private schools for that matter) that provide equally-excellent opportunities for research. 

On 3/7/2019 at 5:24 PM, Procaffeination said:

While I agree Ph.D.'s programs do care more about what research/experience you've had and the name of your graduate school, I still think it's tough to justify their price tag. Again, we will have to see what NU offers after they send official funding information, but there are plenty of bigger-name state schools (and even cheaper private schools for that matter) that provide equally-excellent opportunities for research. 

Very true!! I also got in to UIUC and it's basically half the cost. But Northwestern is kind of a dream school! I just don't know if I want to be in debt for years and years! Also, even with the highest scholarship they offer, the cost is still higher than many schools. I'm worried I won't get any funding anyways since almost everyone that gets accepted has good/similar GRE scores and GPAs!