april 15 the last date?

cheesethunder

I think most schools reserve the right to let you know as late as June, although I think it highly unlikely that they exercise this option often. Maybe they just say that to account for wait-listed candidates and those who decline at the 11th hour?

I'm still waiting on two schools and will probably call their departments early next week if I still haven't heard anything. I dunno. Anyone else have ideas?

April 15th is the official day where decisions made by you becoming binding. This only applies to members of the Council of Graduate Schools (I think that's the right body...). Basically, they all agree not to make you make a decision until April 15th, and then after that point you're locked in, to some extent. So, for example, if you're pressured by one school to make a decision in March and accept their offer, but then get admitted to your top-choice school on April 14th, you are legally ok to withdraw from that other offer and take the new one. Obviously it is still frowned upon, though. So schools give you until April 15th to accept or decline their offers, and in most cases, the schools will have all their offers out some amount of time before April 15th. If spots open up, schools can make offers after that date.

If your schools are on the Resolution where April 15 is the last day for notification (good or bad), then that's the date. If they're not, then check each school's website because they will usually have what they consider their last date posted somewhere. Sometimes offers can be made after April 15, but when that happens the school and the individual know this is happening so it's not like a late surprise, although good.