Choosing between art history MA and PhD?

warmmuffins

Hi everyone! Now that we (mostly) have our offers on the table, I am hoping to get some advice from anyone and everyone out there who might have some input - and if anyone else is in a similar position hopefully this thread will help! I am currently finishing my senior year of my undergrad (art history major, modern and contemporary focus) and have received a fully funded offer from Williams College. I'm also currently on the waitlist for the IFA's PhD program, but want to be prepared to make a quick decision should I get off the waitlist close to the decision deadline. I know I want to get my PhD, and the IFA would be my top PhD program choice, but I almost wonder if it would benefit me to pursue my MA first at Williams and then reapply to the IFA. I hope to eventually go into academia, and I feel that having the networks of boths schools would be an immense advantage when it comes time to apply for jobs. Of course, I know even the best CV doesn't guarantee a job in academia, but having the experiences/networks of both programs would certainly bode well for other lines of work as well (museums, publishing, etc). 

I am very interested in Williams' first year international study trip, as well as the opportunity to study another foreign language before going straight into a PhD program (I only have 2 years of German right now). But then, I've also received advice that it is important to do all your coursework at your PhD program if you can, so that you build a strong rapport with the professors and get to know your cohort better. And if I should get off the waitlist, who is to say I will get another offer after Williams if I don't take it now?! Maybe this would be my only chance? I'm almost hoping I don't get off the waitlist so I don't have to make this incredibly hard decision. I wish I could just have both, no questions asked...

I've already gotten some fabulous advice and input from some people, but hoping there is someone out there who was once in a similar position and could impart some wisdom on me! Or, if anyone reading this thread has been to either program and would like to share some advice, that would be fantastic, too. :)

Edited by warmmuffins

I don't have advice on IFA PhD vs. Williams MA because it sounds like the choice is clear--if you get off the waitlist, go to the IFA! But Williams is a great and respected program in the field if not. Turning down the IFA if you get off the waitlist and then reapplying seems fraught...if you didn't take their offer the first time, why would they offer it again? With decision deadlines approaching, It might be worth emailing the IFA and trying to figure out if the waitlist is likely to have movement or not. Maybe even look on the old results pages on here to see if people got accepted from the waitlist. 

With regards to your concern about doing the MA with your PhD cohort, IFA is definitely an aberration in the field and I am shocked they have you start as a third year if you have an MA. At any other top program you would maybe be a semester ahead. That being said, there are surely a number of PhD students who would be starting with their MAs (especially from Williams or the Courtauld), so you would have that cohort of other outside MAs within the wider cohort of third-years. 

All of this is IMO, but I hope it helps!

Have you asked IFA if you are not accepted off the waitlist if you will be accepted to their MA? Would it include funding?

Do you have the standard decisions due by April 15th or later? If so I say wait it out. Williams has already accepted you with funding; it's yours and will be yours until the decision date.

Here's another question to ask yourself, do you feel prepared to begin your PhD if accepted or would Williams better prepare you? This is just to get you thinking, but I think waiting it out is the best course of action. You either do or you don't, and if you don't you still have a really great offer and program. Essentially you're in a win-win situation. ?