Living arrangments during a PhD

Think_Positive

I was wondering where people have lived or are planning on living during their PhD studies? Did you rent an apartment? Buy a house? Did the school offer subsidized housing on or around campus?

I didn't get into a program for Fall 2010, but I'm looking forward to applying for 2011.... However, in April of 2011 I am getting married, and my fiance and I had hoped on buying a house as a next step once we move out of our current apartment. The schools I'm looking at are in a geographic location which I would ideally want to work in (the DC-Baltimore area for its close connections to government opportunities), so we would likely want to stay in the area for quite a few years. If applications don't go well next year, I'm also planning on job searching in the same area because by then I'll by finished with my MPH. However it is a bit daunting to be house hunting, job searching, finishing my MPH, preparing for our wedding, and waiting to hear back from grad programs all at the same time.... :blink:

I'm planning alone off campus. I think I may have found "the place" thanks to a recommendation from people in the department and great reviews on apartmentratings.com. The manager was a really, really nice guy who has lived at and managed the complex for the past 20 years. It has recently been renovated and has a million pluses - you can get satellite! Safe neighborhood, on the bus route, off street parking, and on the low end of the budget. So, I submitted an application and hopefully I get a place there. I wanted a two bedroom so that I could have an office at home that is separate from my living room/TV area and bedroom.

I would never want to own anything until a good job with great job security. I would be afraid that I might need to move to take a dream job. I would vote for an apartment, but that is just me.

I'm married with four-legged children. Before grad school, I owned my house with a big yard. I knew that wasn't terribly feasible moving across country. I rent a house off campus.

Edited by dacey

I bought a condo, which in this particular state was also nice. I'm paying for mortgage+condo fees the same as some of my friends who are renting. If you're planning on phd or staying in an area for a long time, it may be a worthwhile idea.