MA in Philosophy and no intention for Phd?

bluemarble

Hello. I'm thinking about pursuing a MA in philosophy, but understand that most programs are intended to give prospective PhD applicants the background their undergraduate institutions for one reason or another didn't (http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/maprog.asp). I already have a BA and MA in English and want ultimately to write and teach cultural criticism, but prospects in the field of cultural studies are only waning. Yes, I have an intrinsic desire to gain a stronger understanding of philosophy since I have almost no coursework in the field to speak of, although I was exposed as a grad student to numerous works that blew my mind away. I think my cognitive strengths lie in abstraction and intuition so that even though I love English and history, it's a more or less unrequited one. In a way, I'd be upping the ante en route to a PhD in cultural studies -- something like Santa Cruz's History of Consciousness program. Yet even with that extra MA and a Cultural Studies PhD, would I be no more than a philosophical fish in a forlorn pond by the time I don my graduation cap, the market's just that bad. Is a MA in philosophy worth it? Responses appreciated.

Edited by bluemarble

• 10 months later...