What to Do After Waitlisted

I was waitlisted by my first choice PhD program about 1 month ago. I was inquiring what steps I should take after being waitlisted. Should I contact the Professor (different than the director of the graduate admissions committee) who interviewed me and update him with the most recent new research projects I have been working on this semester? I was also informed who the director of the graduate admissions committee this year is. Should I contact him and update him with research projects not listed when I submitted my application and also further state my interest in the program? Finally, when should I ask for an update on my waitlist? The April 15 deadline is steadily approaching. Should I ask for a status update at the beginning of April? Thanks.

I'm an applicant like you, so be warned about my advice.  I don't really think I've ever heard someone on this subforum speak positively of contacting professors about admissions.  As such, I'd assume that you probably shouldn't contact the interviewing professor or director of graduate admissions -- your getting in probably has a lot to do with other people declining or accepting offers and very little to do with what you've been working on since your interview.  I would also think that your interest in the program would be assumed (people can withdraw from the waitlist if they want; you clearly haven't), so I do kinda doubt that you'd have to further state your interest, although I'm less sure of my opinion on that.

I would also assume that a status update on April 1st isn't really something to worry about, but I'm also guessing that it depends on the school.  If this is, say, NC State, and they have a gigantic waitlist that they outright state is unranked and they won't talk about it, then clearly don't ask.  If this is a school with a really small waitlist and who wrote to you to confirm you were still interested in being on the waitlist, asking about your status might be a bit more reasonable, albeit I'm still not sure it would be an outstanding idea unless they offered to be open to such requests.

My unqualified opinion: it can't hurt to write a letter to the admissions committee stating your continued interest and intention to accept the offer if accepted, and updating them with any news since you submitted your application. I'm not sure about contacting the professor directly, but maybe ask an admin to add the letter to your application? 

thanks @Geococcyx and @blehperson for your responses and recommendations. I'm a bit hesitant now on how to exactly proceed. If its not too much trouble or hassle, @Stat PhD Now Postdoc and @bayessays , do you guys have any thoughts on how I should proceed or if I should do anything at all? thank you!

I would just send an email to whoever sent your waitlist notice (director of grad program/admissions or secretary) and just reiterate your interest, and if true, your intention to accept their offer if extended. That's really about all there is to do. Then I'd check in again whenever they tell you to or about a week into April if they haven't gotten back to you