How long should you wait before committing? - Questions and Answers - The GradCafe Forums
Jump to content
  • 0

How long should you wait before committing?


AMach

Question

I've been accepted to a university that was at the bottom of my list. Went for a visit and everything seemed nice. I can absolutely see myself going there. 

I have, however, been wait-listed by two other universities that are at the top of my list. With April 15th a few weeks away, I am beginning to wonder how long do I hold out and wait to hear back the wait-listed schools or just go ahead and commit and get everything lined up (apartments, schedule, etc) at the school that originally accepted me in Feb. 

Any pointers? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 2

I think you can safely wait a couple weeks longer.

Once you hit April, I would recommend reaching out to the waitlist schools to tell them how interested you are in their program and see if they'll tell you where you fall on the waitlist (if you're high up on the waitlist, its in a school's best interest to tell you so that they can have the best people replacing students who decline).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1
On 3/18/2019 at 8:44 PM, DevoLevo said:

I think you can safely wait a couple weeks longer.

Once you hit April, I would recommend reaching out to the waitlist schools to tell them how interested you are in their program and see if they'll tell you where you fall on the waitlist (if you're high up on the waitlist, its in a school's best interest to tell you so that they can have the best people replacing students who decline).

Seconding this. Politely explain to your top schools that you're weighing your options, but you're most excited about their programs. If they give you a lukewarm response, take that as an informal rejection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I appreciate the advice! 

I did reach out to both of my top choices (that I was wait listed at). Heard back that all positions were filled at one school.  Found out that the other school has 3 spots open and just sent out 3 offers. I'm #4. 

What a time to be alive! :)

 

Edited by AMach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
52 minutes ago, AMach said:

I appreciate the advice! 

I did reach out to both of my top choices (that I was wait listed at). Heard back that all positions were filled at one school.  Found out that the other school has 3 spots open and just sent out 3 offers. I'm #4. 

What a time to be alive! :)

 

Sorry you didn't get better news, but you can still wait until the 15th to make a final decision. There's no shame in committing in the 11th hour -- in fact, it's very common.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, AMach said:

I appreciate the advice! 

I did reach out to both of my top choices (that I was wait listed at). Heard back that all positions were filled at one school.  Found out that the other school has 3 spots open and just sent out 3 offers. I'm #4. 

What a time to be alive! :)

 

Am I interpreting correctly that #4 means you're next on the waitlist? I would say that's a very solid place to be and you should ride it out at least until April 10th or so.

Its your right to wait right up until April 15th if you want to and you should absolutely take advantage of that if this place is high on your list. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
17 hours ago, DevoLevo said:

Am I interpreting correctly that #4 means you're next on the waitlist? I would say that's a very solid place to be and you should ride it out at least until April 10th or so.

Its your right to wait right up until April 15th if you want to and you should absolutely take advantage of that if this place is high on your list. 

 

 

Correct - at least that is my understanding as well. I am certainly going to wait until I hear something conclusive before committing anywhere. I am telling myself to not get my hopes up but I am also getting my hopes up haha! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.