Veterans utilizing Voc Rehab (Ch 31)

Tomlinson87

I was denied by my counselor due to having suitable employment (I’m a probation officer). The program is crazy. According to my counselor,  I would be eligible if I quit my job! I might appeal (denied last month) but not sure what the benefit would be as I have all my Post 9/11 GI Bill. I found it tonight to find information on the program as it pertains to becoming a LCSW. My counselor was not very knowledgeable.

Are you employed? 

Do you have all your GI Bill?

Whats your reasoning for going this route?

4 minutes ago, Otter13 said:

I was denied by my counselor due to having suitable employment (I’m a probation officer). The program is crazy. According to my counselor,  I would be eligible if I quit my job! I might appeal (denied last month) but not sure what the benefit would be as I have all my Post 9/11 GI Bill. I found it tonight to find information on the program as it pertains to becoming a LCSW. My counselor was not very knowledgeable.

Are you employed? 

Do you have all your GI Bill?

Whats your reasoning for going this route?

They wouldn’t let me pursue a PsyD because of the length of the program. That’s why I switched to an MSW.

I was in Law Enforcement in the Air Force for 10 years and then 8 months in St Petersburg, FL. I left because of my back.  I left several of my jobs since getting out because of my back. Also because I got easily irritated at stupid stuff (people acting like a fool).

That’s how I got approved.

Did you call the White House hotline? You can be employed while on Voc Rehab. If your disability affects your job in any way, you’re eligible. 

Are you on the Disabled Veterans fb page? Ben Krause runs it. He used voc rehab to become a lawyer and now advocates for veterans.

Some yellow ribbon programs don’t make up enough for the tuition the 9/11 covers. Post 9/11 is capped at the highest in state college cost, which isn’t much. Voc rehab is paying for everything. I’d fight for it if I were you.

I’m 80% disabled. Two deployments to Afghanistan in an parachute infantry regiment. 

What school are you attending? 

Whats the benefit of calling the Whitehouse line? I just got out last year so this is all new to me. 

I’m 70, been 60 since 2015 and I got out in 2014. I just now last week got awarded tdiu(unemployability) and will have 100% for as long as my disability affects my work.

If you call the hotline and give your grievance, it gets the ball rolling. I’ve had to do it with a less than stellar counselor. I’d go to their supervisor first before calling. If you have 70, and I bet it’s your knees and back and PTSD, you are eligible. 

They wanted me to do 911 dispatch since I was a cop. I told them hell no. If your disability impacts your job in any way, you are eligible.

For me, my back would sometimes give out when I was apprehending a subject for an arrest. I also couldn’t jump over tall fences, which isn’t good either. If you want, shoot me a private message and I’ll give you my contact info for more help.

I'm going to Boston College in the Fall.