MASc at ECE dept. of UBC

nz1996

Hi everyone,

I have been admitted to the MASc program at the ECE department of UBC. A friend of mine who had been admitted to this program 2 years ago, told me the funding is 28K per year and I will be receiving 3.2K as International Tuition Award so when I pay 8.8K tuition fee I will still have around 21K for my own expenses per year. I also asked my professor and she told me that I will be receiving a 21K stipend. I misunderstood the professor's sentence when she mentioned "stipend" and I thought that she has done the same calculation as me so she is announcing the funding that will be left for me after paying the tuition fee. Now that I have received the official funding letter, I realized that I will be receiving 21K from the professor as an RA, not 28K that my friend had told me and even if I receive the International Tuition Award(which has not been assigned to me yet but I have all the eligibility criteria for receiving it) I will be left with 15.4K per year which is not so good!

I have offers from Waterloo and USC and they are both offering me higher fundings, especially USC. Should I ask my professor to increase my RAship funding? should I tell her about my Waterloo and USC offers that are paying more?