CV in Bioinformatics

VirtualCell

Hi friends,

I have a 1-page resume. How would you suggest modifying it into an academic CV for Ph.D. applications?

I'm finishing up my M.S. in Bioinformatics this year and applying for Ph.D. programs in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Systems Biology, and umbrella Biology programs.

Should I be selective about what I put on my CV? I hope this can be a general post that helps others learn how to make a CV for applications, but I'll post some of my specific questions below. 

• I have 12 related-to-each-other patent applications from an industry internship  (e.g. different gene targets to treat similar diseases) that will go public this July--do I list all of those individually?
  • And I don't have any proper peer-reviewed papers right now (though fingers crossed before October), but I have one in the ChemXrviv, so I list preprints on my CV, right?
  • And then I have a good few poster presentations, but they're not all unique--like I would use the same poster and go present at three or four conferences. Do I list those all separately?
  • What about independent coursework? I've taken a ton of stuff on Coursera that matters to me (like the IBM Data Science certificate), but does it deserve a spot on my CV?
  • I have some unrelated work experience that doesn't make the cut for my resume. For example, I worked as a nursing assistant and a medical scribe right after high school and I worked part-time working on developing some undergraduate curriculum. Should I put all of my work experience?
  • Is there generally a page limit? I feel like, if I include all of the things from the above bullet points, I'll easily be around 10+ pages. 

Edited by VirtualCell

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 8:59 AM, VirtualCell said:

Hi friends,

I have a 1-page resume. How would you suggest modifying it into an academic CV for Ph.D. applications?

I'm finishing up my M.S. in Bioinformatics this year and applying for Ph.D. programs in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Systems Biology, and umbrella Biology programs.

Should I be selective about what I put on my CV? I hope this can be a general post that helps others learn how to make a CV for applications, but I'll post some of my specific questions below. 

• I have 12 related-to-each-other patent applications from an industry internship  (e.g. different gene targets to treat similar diseases) that will go public this July--do I list all of those individually?
  • And I don't have any proper peer-reviewed papers right now (though fingers crossed before October), but I have one in the ChemXrviv, so I list preprints on my CV, right?
  • And then I have a good few poster presentations, but they're not all unique--like I would use the same poster and go present at three or four conferences. Do I list those all separately?
  • What about independent coursework? I've taken a ton of stuff on Coursera that matters to me (like the IBM Data Science certificate), but does it deserve a spot on my CV?
  • I have some unrelated work experience that doesn't make the cut for my resume. For example, I worked as a nursing assistant and a medical scribe right after high school and I worked part-time working on developing some undergraduate curriculum. Should I put all of my work experience?
  • Is there generally a page limit? I feel like, if I include all of the things from the above bullet points, I'll easily be around 10+ pages. 

If it interests you, I've done research in bioinformatics and my CV is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx-Anz53UhD1ek9xd0dudVVpTzQ/view

In response to your questions:

1. I wouldn't put a separate line for each. 

2. Preprints are fine. Make sure you mention that it's a preprint, though.

3. You can definitely include Coursera work. Whether people take it a serious work, though, is a different story. 

4. I think you can definitely include those things. On my CV I've explained my science writing experience, even thuogh it's not directly related to my work as a researcher.

5. There's no page limit, but be as concise and succinct as possible.