Am I misleading on my SOP?

Hi Everyone, 

I recently applied to graduate programs, and have been feeling a lot of anxiety lately (not sure if impostor syndrome/my ocd! so would be grateful for other people's advice).

When reviewing my personal statement, I can't help but think it was misleading and painted me in a better light/more qualified than I really am. In my statement, I talk about a certain programming language that I had only just begun learning the 1-2 weeks prior to submitting my statement. In my statement i talked about how my current job responsibilities include learning and using this programming language (in conjunction with other methods that I do use frequently) to analyze our experiments. As soon as I submitted, and up until now, I've been working on utilizing this newer language and becoming more proficient at it. Just when I think back, I just feel like it probably wasn't right to say that I have "learned" this language or that I used it, when I was really more of in the process of just learning it. I guess at the time when I submitted the app,  I thought it was okay because I was learning it and working on code that would implement analysis for our projects within the next coming months. But I've come to realize now that saying that you've learned a programming language means you consider yourself pretty advanced, and I truly hadn't used it in that great of a capacity. Now I just feel guilty and can't help but wonder if what I said is the reason why i got in, even though i hadn't really known it super well at the time of writing/submitting my statement. (And I still wouldn't say I'm proficient now, but am learning and have made a lot of progress!)

I'm not sure if i'm just over thinking things and worrying about nothing. I firmly believe I'll be very strong with this language by the time i start a program, and i think my essay mostly spoke of the projects and our results, not so much the technical methods (although I do think the programming languages are important and desirable qualities in an applicant for the programs i applied to).

Did anyone else feel like they're personal statements talked themselves up or could be misleading? Does it sound like i'm being over scrupulous or was i in the wrong here, maybe should have made it clear that i was just beginning to learn it instead? I wished that's what I had done now, because i feel so anxious. I'd truly appreciate any advice ya'll have! Thank you!

Edited by theislandquo

People embellish the truth on SOPs and job cover letters all the time. While you created a false impression, I wouldn't consider it horribly immoral. You're making a genuine attempt to learn the language, and as long as you're able to deliver on your SOP's promises when you enter the program, you'll be fine.