Brown MPP

Berlin

I'm so glad that I found this website and forum! I just found out I got admitted to Brown's MPP program today. To be honest, I applied based on the strength of the university itself, and don't know too much about the program itself. I'm wondering if anyone else knows much about the program. I know it's relatively new, but it's hard to figure out how big the program is, and how strong the program itself is. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

i'm kind of curious as well.

i know that the Taubman Center itself is really involved with research, and from what i can tell, it's pretty renowned too.

butthe program itself isn't accredited by NASPAA...whatever that means, considering Public Policy accreditation isn't mandatory unlike med-school accreditation. it's a voluntary peer review process...

• 2 weeks later...

it's looks like we're the only two psyched on this taubman center thing. i couldn't go to admissions day either (due to living overseas) but i too would like to have gone.

have you heard anything about the program other than what's on the website? (admissions statistics...career prospects for the mpp...etc...) i know that they just started offering the mpp in 2005 or so, but still, there's got to be information on the '05/'06/'07 entrance classes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi- I'm interested in applying for the MPA (one year public affairs program for mid-career types) at Brown next winter. Curious if either of you decided on going to Brown yet - and if so - what led you to your decisions. I was a Brown undergrad- and the Taubman Center does have an excellent reputation. The head of the center is leaving for Brookings soon though - so it'll be interesting to see who replaces him. Could be an upswing for the program...

I live in Providence - so happy to provide info if you're curious about the campus and living here. Thanks

I ended up deciding to go with Georgetown, but Brown was my 2nd choice (above Berkeley and Michigan, for what it's worth). I really liked the program, I just decided I wanted to go somewhere with 1) a bigger class (Brown is SMALL), and a city more exciting than Providence (no offense, of course). I think there are about 15-20 MPP's and a few MPA's per class. Most of the MPA's are older, although I know that for Brown undergrads, you can do a 5 year BA/MPA so I suppose there are some right out of college as well. I was VERY impressed by the current students, and obviously if you went to Brown you know it's a nice campus.

I didn't realize that West was leaving, but I think it gives Brown an opportunity to bring in another big name and take the program to a new level. I don't see any reason that in a few years it won't be one of the top 10 or so programs out there.