Can I accept now, or should I wait for written offer?

notyourmama

I got accepted this afternoon into my first choice (School X), with a lovely fellowship, health insurance and tuition. Although I have another offer outstanding (School Y), this one is MUCH better, plus it's in a place where I have tons of community, so I'm taking it.

So here's my question: should I wait for the official notice to come in the mail, before accepting and turning down school Y? And I still haven't heard from school Z, so should I write them and remove my name from consideration? What's the protocol here?

Personally, I would wait for the official letter before writing to accept the offer.

Also, I know you say this school is your favorite but... have you had a chance to visit both departments? Sometimes visits can really change your impression of a school because you can learn things you can't find on paper or the web.

Yep, I visited both, before even applying. The school I'm accepting was incredibly welcoming, letting me meet with 4 professors, setting up lunch with grad students, giving me a tour. While I was still a junior. Plus, it's almost 5 thousand bucks more.

I visited the other school this past october, and was only able to meet with one professor, nor was anyone available to show me around. She was perfectly nice, but the school seemed much less invested in me as a prospect.

I'm gonna go ahead and take it. It feels like the right move. Much more welcoming + more money = happy grad student.

As soon as you have two acceptances, you should decide which one to turn down so that people on the waiting list can get your spot. Of course, I fail to practice what I preach... but I am planning to let the school I didn't like as much know this week that I will be accepting another offer. (Though I'm not sure what offer that will be, since I'm waiting on 2 more admissions decisions...)

Yeah. Everyone hates those people sitting on 12 acceptances until March 15th, at precisely 11:59pm. As if you were considering each and every one of your offers that closely.

We need to keep the waitlists moving.

I'm sure you meant April, Minnesotan.

Not to worry, I just sent a note out to the one school still pending, and asked them to remove my name from consideration.

I'm going to wait to refuse the other school, until I have that hard copy acceptance in my hand, but then I'll say no. Good luck to everyone else!