What are your thoughts on the programs reputation, class cohort and alumni relationship between GPS (UC San Deigo) and Evans ( Univ of Washington) for MPP/MPA? Hoping to enter in non- proft/ thinktank

I just went to UCSD's admitted student day for mpp. For think tank, I would most definitely choose UCSD. It has a better international reputation, and a superb asian and latin american focus. I do think that it probably has better DC connections for think tank jobs, if that is where you want to work. It probably doesnt matter as much for NGOs and I would try to find program specific data on each program to compare. I was very impressed with both the prospective students and the current students at admitted student day. Although the school itself is somewhat large (around 200 students), the mpp program is only around 65 studentsand thus you may get to know your fellow mpps very well. Especially when you consider that regional and degree specializations may only have around a dozen student in each one. The students overall, were very impressive and the majority had 2 or 3 years of relevant work experience. One of the strongest aspects of the program was the strength of your fellow mpp students academically and practically, at least from my limited mpp student day perspective. If you want the quantitative aspect of policy UCSD is tops, and they definitely ensure that you know numbers. Hope that helps!

Edited by HBLB

10 hours ago, HBLB said:

I just went to UCSD's admitted student day for mpp. For think tank, I would most definitely choose UCSD. It has a better international reputation, and a superb asian and latin american focus. I do think that it probably has better DC connections for think tank jobs, if that is where you want to work. It probably doesnt matter as much for NGOs and I would try to find program specific data on each program to compare. I was very impressed with both the prospective students and the current students at admitted student day. Although the school itself is somewhat large (around 200 students), the mpp program is only around 65 studentsand thus you may get to know your fellow mpps very well. Especially when you consider that regional and degree specializations may only have around a dozen student in each one. The students overall, were very impressive and the majority had 2 or 3 years of relevant work experience. One of the strongest aspects of the program was the strength of your fellow mpp students academically and practically, at least from my limited mpp student day perspective. If you want the quantitative aspect of policy UCSD is tops, and they definitely ensure that you know numbers. Hope that helps!

I have been following the ranking as well as ranking and I feel like the department in UCSD is not as well known as Evans. Evans seems not to be as reputed even though they have good faculty members and I wonder why. Also I dont know if I am interested in east asian and latin american focus. lets see

Yeah not sure why Evan's isnt as well known as UCSD GPS, although I know it's still a great program and an ASPIA member. My biggest problem with UCSD was that research opportunities, either with research centers or professors, seemed relatively rare and with a major quantitative focus. Meaning that you had to complete the initial quant and econ classes until professors would even consider you for research. For someone who wants research opportunities as a resume builder, and a little bit of money to help with tuiton, that was big problem. Students also made it clear that the amount of classes and the quant difficulty, made it very hard for part time work, for internships,research opportunities, and extracurricular activities. While I didnt go to grad school for extracurricular stuff, I at least want to have a little fun. Hard to take advantage of San Diego if I'm crunching numbers all day. Still, both programs are great and you probably cant go wrong with either. Hope that helps, that's just my slightly informed opinion.