PhD: Biostats@UNC vs. Stats@UC Davis

Hi everyone,

I have been hesitating a  lot these days about which Ph.D. program to choose. I tend to choose my major as Statistics, but as you know, Biostats@UNC is fascinating for its reputation. My main concern is whether it's worth giving up Statistics major for the sake of the reputation of Biostats@UNC.  If we just think about the major,  is there much difference between Biostatistics and Statistics (ex. way out to academia & industry)?

I really need you guys' advice, especially the details about the two programs and way out of them! Any advice or perspective is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much! :D

Disclaimer:  I don't know anything more than you, let alone the other responders.

I'd choose UNC biostat myself, but a lot of my research interests are in biological applications anyways.  What are your reasons for wanting to study statistics instead of biostatistics?  That would help inform our advice.  

I suspect you could go to industry or academia from either place.  If you were looking at biostat faculty jobs the UNC would probably be better, but I don't know how it would play out for stat faculty jobs.  If you wanted to work in the FDA, then UNC would be a better choice too.

You mentioned a couple prestigious faculty at UC Davis last time you posted who you seemed interested in -- do you have particular faculty you are interested in at UNC?

Just now, Geococcyx said:

Disclaimer:  I don't know anything more than you, let alone the other responders.

I'd choose UNC biostat myself, but a lot of my research interests are in biological applications anyways.  What are your reasons for wanting to study statistics instead of biostatistics?  That would help inform our advice.  

I suspect you could go to industry or academia from either place.  If you were looking at biostat faculty jobs the UNC would probably be better, but I don't know how it would play out for stat faculty jobs.  If you wanted to work in the FDA, then UNC would be a better choice too.

You mentioned a couple prestigious faculty at UC Davis last time you posted who you seemed interested in -- do you have particular faculty you are interested in at UNC?

Thanks for your reply! I was admitted with RA offer sent by two specific profs (they'll co-advise me), and they mainly work on genetic data. Since I had little exposure to genetic research during my undergraduate and am not very familiar with this field, I wonder whether it's a promising research direction and whether UNC is good at it.

Actually, I'm interested in Prof. Michael R. Kosorok. So I wonder whether RA offer means I'll be tied with the two profs for the coming five years of Ph.D. Is it possible for students to choose their research advisors after the first year (qualifying exam) in UNC?

By the way, congratulations on so many good offers you received. I guess you are struggling to make a decision lol.

@Aweaston You probably already saw it, but just in case, there was some discussion of adviser choice at UNC biostat in this thread:  

EDIT:  Oh yeah, statistical genetics is a promising field, and UNC is good at it.  I think that is Danyu Lin's primary research area, and he's a Spiegelman winner if I recall correctly.  

Edited by Geococcyx
Stat Genetics info

15 minutes ago, Geococcyx said:

@Aweaston You probably already saw it, but just in case, there was some discussion of adviser choice at UNC biostat in this thread:  

EDIT:  Oh yeah, statistical genetics is a promising field, and UNC is good at it.  I think that is Danyu Lin's primary research area, and he's a Spiegelman winner if I recall correctly.  

Got it. Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 12:24 PM, Aweaston said:

Thanks for your reply! I was admitted with RA offer sent by two specific profs (they'll co-advise me), and they mainly work on genetic data. Since I had little exposure to genetic research during my undergraduate and am not very familiar with this field, I wonder whether it's a promising research direction and whether UNC is good at it.

Actually, I'm interested in Prof. Michael R. Kosorok. So I wonder whether RA offer means I'll be tied with the two profs for the coming five years of Ph.D. Is it possible for students to choose their research advisors after the first year (qualifying exam) in UNC?

By the way, congratulations on so many good offers you received. I guess you are struggling to make a decision lol.

Sorry I did not see this sooner than April 15th. Yes genetic research is promising and UNC has strong researchers in the area (both junior and senior faculty).

You won't be tied to your GRA advisors for five years. Assuming you are coming straight into the PhD level courses and pass quals the following summer, you will be able to shop around for an advisor after your first year. There is no guarantee you'll be able to choose any one specific advisor though. There are also cases where your dissertation advisor is not able to fund you so you would need to be on a training grant or work as a GRA.