ergative Posted April 14, 2019 Share Posted April 14, 2019 Hi everyone, I have a serious dilemma on my hands and very little time to resolve it. I was admitted to Indiana very early on with no funding, but after talking to some professors in the program, was able to secure partial funding. However, I wasn't sure if I could afford it. I still planned a trip to visit Bloomington anyway. Right before I left, on Thursday, I was offered full funding for 3 years. I'm currently in Bloomington right now and it's a really beautiful city and campus. However, it's a small college town and fairly isolated, though Indianapolis and other cities aren't too far. I was born and raised in a suburb of Los Angeles (Orange County) so even though I like the city, I don't know how to evaluate living here long term. About a month ago, I was waitlisted at the University of Washington. At the time I told them I would accept if admitted because Seattle seemed like the obvious choice over Bloomington. As my trip approached I wasn't expecting to hear anything from them until after the 15th. However, just this morning they admitted me with full funding for 5 years. The dilemma is that both offers still have the April 15 deadline. I don't really think this is fair of either of them since they sprang them on me so late in the process, but I don't know if I have any power to renegotiate the terms of the offers. I mean, they have all the power, they can just offer the money to someone else, right? But I feel frozen right now trying to decide with so little time. How can I make such an extremely huge life decision in the span of a day? They both have great programs in what I want to focus on (computational linguistics) so I am not worried about that. I have had more interaction with people at IU than UW and feel like it is likely a better fit in that respect. But I'm not yet convinced that Bloomington is the right fit for me, even though I like it so far. I don't have to visit Seattle to know that I would love it. Also, they're giving me funding for 2 additional years. That's a pretty important difference that I can't just write off. I keep going back and forth with all these pros and cons and I know it's ultimately a very personal decision. I ultimately just want to know, how would you go about deciding? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now