Feeling down :(

Ilikekitties

I'm in an MA anthropology program and we don't get our thesis research funded.

So I recently found out that I'm an alternate for a grant that would have allowed me to live abroad and conduct my thesis research. It's not like I was hoping to get a grant as competitive as this one obviously, but I'm down about it because now I might have to change my thesis topic.

I *could* take out loans to travel and live abroad and do my research, but I'd rather not. Basically I might have to change my project and do something in the US to save on money, which I'm pretty bummed about.

I can apply again for the grant, but of course there's no guarantee that I'd get it on another try (my 3rd try) and I don't want to put all my eggs into one basket, writing a proposal for research that I might not be able to do.

Also a summer job in the country where I wanted to conduct research that seemed like a possibility fell through. I've been down :( lately

Any words of wisdom for me?

Look for other ways to get to your country of interest. See if there are English teaching opportunities that can help position you in the country, even for the short term, to give yourself a more competitive slant. 'Field experience', even a few weeks or months, give you that much more practical leverage on paper. If you have been to or even better know people in your desired area you are that much more likely to succeed in winning the grant. Find alternate sources of funding, perhaps those connected to your region or topic of interest. Many times you can spin or incorporate a small portion of your thesis to help win over smaller grants and other funding. My experience focuses on Japan and east Asia so I can't really offer specific details outside of this region but don't give up! I went through two rounds of apps, accepted an unfunded offer and just got a notice last week it is now almost 90% funded and includes pay for the first year.

Thanks!

English teaching there is probably attainable. I haven’t taught English there before, but I did teach English in a different country for 2 years. 

I did study abroad for 1 semester in this country.