choose to apply a research-based MS or apply directly to PhD

zkysfls

I am international sophomore student studying computer science in US. Recently I decided to apply for PhD in the future so I try to find a professor  who can offer a research opportunity in summer. However, I could not find any after numerous asking. Right now I decide to try again in next summer after I finish all the core requirement courses. But just prepare for the worst case, if I still cannot find any research opportunity after the junior summer. Should I consider to apply for the research-based MS instead of applying directly to PhD? If so, which MS programs are suitable for those who want to apply for PhD? 

• 2 months later...

Can you do research during the school year? There are likely many more openings and would probably let you continue on in the summer. I would make sure you get some sort of research experience, even if it is not in your first choice field. For example, even if you want to do AI research, if the NLP lab has an opening, then I would take it. You can use that as a credential when you apply for other research opportunities in your own field either the next semester or for the summer.

Don't immediately jump to doing an MS, work hard now to get that research experience, and then go for the PhD.