Out of State Job vs. In-State Residency

somewhatnervous

Hi everyone,

I'm on track to finish my degree (PhD from an NY institution) this upcoming fall/winter; the problem is I have a non-academic job interview coming up for an out of state position that I really want. I'm no longer funded or TAing, but the university still covers my fees and tuition and all that. I'm worried that taking the job will affect my in-state residency status and screw things up financially with the university.

Has anyone had or heard of a similar experience? Should I take the position if offered and just keep quiet about it with my university?

Thanks in advance for any help! 

54 minutes ago, somewhatnervous said:

Should I take the position if offered and just keep quiet about it with my university?

The last thing you need right now is for those whose help and support you need and who have power over your future to have questions about your character. It's not just about getting the doctorate, it's also about having people who know you and your work saying "This is a person you should hire..." 

Without the latter, the former will be little more than a piece of paper.

Just now, Sigaba said:

The last thing you need right now is for those whose help and support you need and who have power over your future to have questions about your character. It's not just about getting the doctorate, it's also about having people who know you and your work saying "This is a person you should hire..." 

Without the latter, the former will be little more than a piece of paper.

Thanks for your response, Sigaba. I should clarify: it's not so much my advisers or faculty who I'm concerned with telling/not telling (I'm eager to share the news with them!), but rather with the bureaucracy at my institution. What I'm trying to find out is whether or not it's a good idea to report to the bursars office that I'm taking a job out of state when my tuition waiver is meant to cover tuition for in-state residency.

Were I in your position, I would reread the rules and the guidelines/policies on student conduct. 

If you're in the SUNY system, the rules may be clear enough.  "Generally, individuals who have maintained their domicile in New York for a period of fewer than twelve months prior to the end of registration are presumed to be out-of-state residents and are not eligible for the resident tuition rate."

If those documents did not provide a clear answer, I would ask my department and the bursars office separately. Ideally, all three sources will provide the same answer. If the same answer is "you'll lose residency," then I would think I'd gotten sound guidance. If your department says "this is fine" and the bursar's office says differently, I would go with the guidance of the latter.

Here's the thing. Even if your department is okay with you bending the rules (which might be a huge red flag for other issues), the fact that you attend a public university may mean that the school will get the last laugh by holding your diploma until you pay the difference between resident and nonresident fees AND by flagging your file for future background checks AND, if you don't pay in a timely manner, referring your bill to a collection agency. (Were @TakeruK still active on this BB, he might point out student privacy laws to which I'd reply that by approving background checks for a job, such right could be waived.)