Further improvements for Biostatistics PhD

Hello, I'm an medicine undergraduate (med schools in my country are primarily undergraduate institutions like the UK) interested in biostatistics.

I have completed a math degree during my premed years and currently preparing for a 1st authored paper in behavioral epidemiology.

The math courses I have completed are :

Pure math: 1 year calculus I/II , linear algebra I/II(sophomore level), real analysis I/II(=baby rudin), topology I/II, abstract algebra I/II, differential geometry, graduate real analysis (using RCA), graduate stochastic process/SDE, graduate algebraic topology, mathematical statistics (somewhat Hogg equivalent)

Applied math (advanced proof based courses in the math department) : some undergrad/grad level algorithm/programming courses (e.g. mathematical algorithms (graduate)) and information theory

The overall math GPA is somewhere around 3.8~3.9/4.0 ( I've got some A- and B+ on algebra classes. Analysis related courses are all A)

Is there any more possibility of improving my profile in mathematics? For now, I can't take additional math courses anymore since I'm no more a premed.

I'm currently self-studying some statgen related topics and planning to start a statgen related research project with a well-known professor in my institution. 

Anymore advice? 

Your math background already looks quite strong for Biostatistics PhD programs and is already much more exhaustive than many Biostat PhD applicants -- the majority of Biostat PhD applicants have not written first author papers or taken graduate real analysis, stochastic processes, or algebraic topology. You would make a great applicant for Statistics PhD programs as well, if you are interested in applying to those.

Where did you complete your math degree? Is it at one of the top institutions in your home country (i.e. KAIST, Yonsei, KU, or Seoul National)? If so, I would advise you to apply to all the top Biostatistics PhD programs in the U.S. (and some Statistics programs too if you're interested in that). Admissions is very competitive for international applicants, but if you completed your degree at any of the top four universities in South Korea, you stand a very good chance.

Edited by Stat PhD Now Postdoc

6 hours ago, Stat PhD Now Postdoc said:

Your math background already looks quite strong for Biostatistics PhD programs and is already much more exhaustive than many Biostat PhD applicants -- the majority of Biostat PhD applicants have not written first author papers or taken graduate real analysis, stochastic processes, or algebraic topology. You would make a great applicant for Statistics PhD programs as well, if you are interested in applying to those.

Where did you complete your math degree? Is it at one of the top institutions in your home country (i.e. KAIST, Yonsei, KU, or Seoul National)? If so, I would advise you to apply to all the top Biostatistics PhD programs in the U.S. (and some Statistics programs too if you're interested in that). Admissions is very competitive for international applicants, but if you completed your degree at any of the top four universities in South Korea, you stand a very good chance.

Thank you for your reply

Yes, I have completed my math in one of those institutions, although I have entered my institution as a 2+4 system where premed students are automatically transferred to 4 year med courses after completeing 2 years of basic science courses (It took an additional year for me since I was studying more math), and still attending them.

As written in the post, I'm interested in studying statistical/population genetics and currently studying them on a personal basis. I'm curious whether I can prove this experience to the admission committee.

By the way, I'm concerned about my medicine GPA since I find it really difficult to get good grades. How are med school GPAs counted? I assume that this is a rare case in US since most MD/PhD students acquire their PhD through integrated MD/PhD program.

14 hours ago, deep_lazy said:

Thank you for your reply

Yes, I have completed my math in one of those institutions, although I have entered my institution as a 2+4 system where premed students are automatically transferred to 4 year med courses after completeing 2 years of basic science courses (It took an additional year for me since I was studying more math), and still attending them.

As written in the post, I'm interested in studying statistical/population genetics and currently studying them on a personal basis. I'm curious whether I can prove this experience to the admission committee.

By the way, I'm concerned about my medicine GPA since I find it really difficult to get good grades. How are med school GPAs counted? I assume that this is a rare case in US since most MD/PhD students acquire their PhD through integrated MD/PhD program.

In the PhD applications, there should be separate fields to put your overall GPA and your major GPA. You said you completed a math degree, so you can put that for your major GPA, and in  your statement of purpose, you can further explain why the medicine GPA is lower.  You will also want to make a clear case why you are switching to Biostatistics from Medicine and emphasize your mathematics preparation and research experience in your statement of purpose (e.g. summarizing briefly the first-author paper you are about to submit).

I think with a math degree from one of the top 4 universities in South Korea (and a stellar GPA at that) and a first-author publication, you will be in very good shape to get into a good Biostatistics PhD program.