Oxford - MPhil - Political Theory

Hi all,

I've been wailtlisted at Oxford for the MPhil in Political Theory. So I'm wondering: anyone here gotten accepted and thinking of declining? Anyone definitely sure that they're going? Just want to get an idea of what people are thinking.

I'd also appreciate any advice about the MPhil. Anyone done this program at Oxford or perhaps know someone who has? Is it worth taking on debt for? I have some pretty solid options, some funded, some not (NYU, Toronto, LSE, etc). But it is Oxford after all, and its an option worth considering.

Thanks a ton.

heyhey

I've been accepted and I'm definitely going.

As for any advice about the MPhil, obviously I'm biased, but I've great things about placement and about the quality of the program, so if you end up getting an offer, I'd say it's seriously worth considering. Congrats on all of your other acceptances!

I am going too, though not to the MPhil. I've heard good things about placement with respect to Canada and the UK but that it might not transfer so well to the US job market. I'm not American so I have no problem with that but if you do, you might want to consider NYU or Toronto.

I am going too, though not to the MPhil. I've heard good things about placement with respect to Canada and the UK but that it might not transfer so well to the US job market. I'm not American so I have no problem with that but if you do, you might want to consider NYU or Toronto.

Thanks, brewski. Congrats to you as well. As of now, do you know about funding i.e. whether or not you're going to have to pick up the bill?

Congrats to you too, Ziz. What's your funding situation like? I'm Canadian as well. Since I'd be going for an Mphil at Oxford, and will probably be applying to North American Phds after that, my job placement would largely depend on that doctorate. I basically see Oxford's Mphil as a great stepping stone for the Phd.

Of course, most of this depends largely on your work. Still, I'd also like to know: is there anyone who has had great success after completing the Mphil at Oxford? Or anyone who found it to be underwhelming / equally as good as LSE / not worth the debt?

Thanks, brewski. Congrats to you as well. As of now, do you know about funding i.e. whether or not you're going to have to pick up the bill?

Congrats to you too, Ziz. What's your funding situation like? I'm Canadian as well. Since I'd be going for an Mphil at Oxford, and will probably be applying to North American Phds after that, my job placement would largely depend on that doctorate. I basically see Oxford's Mphil as a great stepping stone for the Phd.

Of course, most of this depends largely on your work. Still, I'd also like to know: is there anyone who has had great success after completing the Mphil at Oxford? Or anyone who found it to be underwhelming / equally as good as LSE / not worth the debt?

As for funding, I haven't heard much yet. The department has told me that they're currently sorting out funding, but also some of the colleges have some funding that they give out too, which I would find about when I'm accepted to a college. Not a whole lot of people get funding, so I might have to self-fund, although obv I'd rather get some funding, as it's quite expensive.

As far as the comparison to LSE, lots of people seem to say it's better than LSE (i.e. the Brits @ The Student Room all seem to say this), and that the MPhil at Oxford is great at placing people into top PhD programs afterwards, while LSE is also good but a bit more mixed.

Did Oxford say when they'd let you know if you're accepted off the waitlist? Hopefully you get it!

As for funding, I haven't heard much yet. The department has told me that they're currently sorting out funding, but also some of the colleges have some funding that they give out too, which I would find about when I'm accepted to a college. Not a whole lot of people get funding, so I might have to self-fund, although obv I'd rather get some funding, as it's quite expensive.

As far as the comparison to LSE, lots of people seem to say it's better than LSE (i.e. the Brits @ The Student Room all seem to say this), and that the MPhil at Oxford is great at placing people into top PhD programs afterwards, while LSE is also good but a bit more mixed.

Did Oxford say when they'd let you know if you're accepted off the waitlist? Hopefully you get it!

Well, they mentioned that people have to accept or decline by the first week of May, but that sometimes the waitlist comes into effect as late as July (!) when people are unable to fulfill the various conditions of their offer. Given that North American deadlines are April 15th, unless something completely random happens, I think that'll be way too late for me.

Clarendon awards have all been allocated so if you haven't heard, you didn't get one. I didn't so my fingers are crossed for college funding...

Clarendon awards have all been allocated so if you haven't heard, you didn't get one. I didn't so my fingers are crossed for college funding...

Yeah I saw that on the results page. The department also told me that they're currently sorting out their funding too, and that if we get any we should hear soon. Departmental studentships and so on I think. Fingers crossed also for college funding for all! :-P