U Michigan Ann arbor MAE or Vanderbilt GPED

peter zhang

I'm an international student from China. I have been admitted to U Michigan Ann arbor MAE and waiting for the result from U Vanderbilt GPED.

I'm wondering which option is better considering the reputation and finding a job in U.S. after graduation.

BTW, if I go back to China and find a job, which one is better?

Thanks in advance!

I looked into both, and am going to be going to GPED in the fall at Vanderbilt. From the research I've done and everything I've heard, it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to go private sector, Michigan is a better choice although Vanderbilt is still alright, especially if you want to concentrate in financial economics. If you want to go Public Sector or return to China after your degree, Vanderbilt is your better option. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that if the Master's will be your terminal degree, then the UMich is probably a better "brand" in most of the country than Vanderbilt. That's not to say that Vanderbilt's not a great school, but outside of maybe the south I think that both the institution and certainly the Economics department at UMich have the edge. Also, I'll respectfully disagree with the previous poster who said that Vanderbilt clearly dominated on public; for law and economics and maybe social choice theory than yes, but Michigan is a GREAT place to do public (and even in the subfields of public that Vanderbilt is stronger, I think that it's a quite good).

I have no idea which would be better for China.

Also, I'll respectfully disagree with the previous poster who said that Vanderbilt clearly dominated on public; for law and economics and maybe social choice theory than yes, but Michigan is a GREAT place to do public (and even in the subfields of public that Vanderbilt is stronger, I think that it's a quite good).

I never said "clearly dominated" or anything to that effect whatsoever. I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me, I'm just posting what I derived from talking to people both programs who stated their programs strengths. Feel free to disagree with what I say - I just ask that you don't mischaracterize what I said.

Edited by ksting

I never said "clearly dominated" or anything to that effect whatsoever. I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me, I'm just posting what I derived from talking to people both programs who stated their programs strengths. Feel free to disagree with what I say - I just ask that you don't mischaracterize what I said.

It appears that I misread your post. Specifically, you wrote "If you want to go Public Sector or return to China after your degree, Vanderbilt is your better option" (emphasis added) was initially misread as public economics (which is Vanderbilt's greatest strength). Or I mistyped--I honestly don't remember.

But it doesn't really matter, as I still disagree that Vanderbilt is a better option for any domestic career ambitions. Or to put it a little more diplomatically, it's not clear to me why Vanderbilt would be a considered a better option for preparing one to go into the public sector than UMich. Again, I have no idea which a Chinese employer (private or public) would prefer.