Comparative Lit. Oregon or Rutgers?

eko

13 members have voted

1. 1. Comparative Lit. Oregon or Rutgers? (PhD)

• Univ. of Oregon Comparative Literature
    • Rutgers Comparative Literature

Hi All,

I am trying to decide between two Comparative Literature programs.

University of Oregon - Comparative Literature (PhD)

or

Rutgers- Comparative Literature (PhD)

Your ideas are important and help is appreciated!

Hi All,

I am trying to decide between two Comparative Literature programs.

University of Oregon - Comparative Literature (PhD)

or

Rutgers- Comparative Literature (PhD)

Your ideas are important and help is appreciated!

I very little to contribute about Comparative Lit, but I took one course (short fiction) at *PM sent to OP* as a first-semester freshman. An international PhD student taught it, and her English was indecipherable and she was incredibly disorganized. Independent of subject matter, it was one of the worst-taught classes I've taken at UNIVERSITY.

What does this mean in terms of picking a program? Probably very little. But perhaps you should investigate the number of international students at UNIVERSITY (if you would rather have less foreign peers). I personally felt that my instructor was ill-prepared (in terms of both how to teach and in having a clear curriculum) for teaching undergraduates, and you might want to investigate if my situation was an isolated case, etc.

Edited by socialpsychg

I don't know much about Oregon's program, but I was accepted to comp lit at Rutgers and got a very good impression of the program. One of my professors where I did my undergrad said that the DGS at Rutgers is very well-respected and has been working hard to improve the quality of the department in recent years. They also seem to have a lot of resources, financial and otherwise, for grad students. As I said, I don't know enough about Oregon to make a true comparison, but even though I didn't end up choosing Rutgers, I still think I would have been perfectly happy there.