Visual Artist with an MA in Art History?

staxdo_21

I am extremely interested in returning to school for a Masters in art history, but I also wish to maintain my artist practice which I know will be difficult to maintain if I am also trying to fit in time to think, research, and write. However, I've been working for almost ten years in a variety of arts administration jobs, and I know I need something more intellectually challenging from my day job. The after-work side hustle, classes, podcasts, and reading is not enough. I've been exceptionally lucky to be in commuting distance to world-class panel discussions on visual culture, and have taken some fantastic courses on art history as of late. I've joined a variety of organizations for administrators and creatives in the arts both nationally and locally, but I want more. 

There are a variety of positions I would love to build a path towards, but most of the people in those roles have at least a Masters, if not a Ph.D., in art history. I've interviewed a variety of people who now teach or work as curators, etc. The issue is that none of them are actual artists or have maintained their practice. Am I being unrealistic, or am I spreading my ambitions too widely? Am I taking a roundabout route to fund my artist practice?

• 4 weeks later...

I struggled with this throughout my first semester and sadly, had to give up my art practice. I too was in a number of arts admin jobs and wanted something better (cataloguing at a major auction house). I had started a photo project in 2017 that was difficult to fit into my schedule between class, commuting, and trying to find funding for my work. I'm hopeful that on the other side of this I'll land a job that will give me enough downtime to go back to making art. I don't know how reliant you are on your work to make a living, but if you are in a position (financially, emotionally) where you can set it aside for a few years, it doesn't mean it's over entirely. I'm confident there will be time after one's studies. Good luck!