University Choice for M.S in Chemical Engineering

arkabh

I am a chemical engineering undergraduate from India.  I have had a hard time deciding between these admits due to different variables. I want to pursue a Masters with Thesis option which involves research work along with reduced coursework. I have a few offers left to accept and some I have made. It would help me greatly if you can give your advice regarding this as it is a big decision in my career.

I have received admits from the following universities:

University of Waterloo- Perfect Research Match, Almost full scholarship which will cover almost my entire expenses ( Tuition+ Living). Now I am in this great conundrum as to choose between a safe and secure option in Waterloo or take a risk and go for UCLA. With respect to research, I am not sure what research I would like, I have two fields I want to work in- Energy and Advanced Materials. However, the rankings are very low for as compared to other options.

University of California Los Angeles-  Excellent Research facilities here. The department is ranked 7th in North America and also had given me an MS with Thesis option. My current research advisor in very new and has started his lab in 2018 and building his team. Regarding the research fit, it's not perfect, but I am curious about the topic and it has been on my secondary research choice. The professor has assured me help in finding positions and procuring funding through RA/TA. I will have an option of changing supervisors in the first quarter however I am not sure how it will work out. However, LA is damn expensive. 

McGill University: I was offered an MEng with Fast-Track option into PhD. Basically the Prof wants me for a PhD.I don't want to commit to that now. Also I want to explore more in research and discover my interests before I embark on PhD. So, I am pretty sure to reject this.

Ohio State University- I can choose between research groups there however they have not guaranteed a position there and I tried contacting a few profs there but received no reply. Also, there's no funding promised now. So I am not confident about the choice. However, the living costs are much lower here.

As of now, I think Waterloo and UCLA are the only feasible choices (if anyone thinks otherwise, plz comment :) . I want to pursue a masters in the US to help me gain some work experience after my masters and also to pay off my loans. (If I decide to go there). In Canada, I will have no financial burden, but with very limited jobs and industry exposure in Chemical Engineering, my career may get limited after graduating. 

If anyone has an idea regarding the graduate program at these unis then I would highly appreciate your comments and it would help me make a choice.