Fulfilling art history prerequisites when there are no local options

staxdo_21

I just posted about online course credits but was told by one of the graduate programs that these do not carry the same amount of competitiveness as traditional art history courses. I live an hour+ outside of Boston, and none of the colleges around offer evening courses in art history. I currently work full time at an organization that won't look kindly upon a looser schedule to accommodate daytime course work. Even trying to get to a 6 pm class will require me to leave early and scramble down to Boston which I'm not sure my supervisor will allow for. Since I am also in the middle of a job search, there is a possibility that we will one day be situated closer to the colleges in the city. Until then, I would face over an hour commute to race to class. In addition, the only evening classes in art history I've been able to find are through Tufts and are twice as expensive as my alma mater. Obviously, the commuting will greatly take away from time studying and writing, and I already have a lot of obligations to work around. 

While I will have to make something work for me, I am curious about whether there are some tricks or tips to address my dilemma. I feel pulled between earning as much income as possible before starting grad school and taking a few part-time jobs that would allow greater flexibility in my schedule. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:24 AM, Valorship98 said:

There are no prerequisites for art history, if you are a competent student of the humanities, you should be fine.

@Valorship98 many MA programs require students to have a certain amount of credits in art history before applying to a Master's program...