Am I a Competitive Applicant for a Top-Tier Sociology PhD?

Prop1921

Hi everyone! Sorry, I know this is a very common question, but I am wondering if I have a reasonable chance of getting into a top-20 Ph.D program in sociology. 

My background: I have a B.A. in Legal Studies from a top 100 school, where I received a 3.59 GPA, I studied abroad at a top 10 school for politics and economics, and went on to get a M.A. in Europe at a top 50 school for Political/Social History, where I got a 3.53 GPA. I have 6 months teaching experience as a long term substitute in an inner city school district, and qualitative research experience as an intern in a research organization and quantitative research experience in the private sector, but I have no published research with my name on it. I also have intern experience in a global policy forum organization.  I have good recommendations lined up. My GRE Scores are Q158 V163 W4.5. 

Do you think I stand a chance applying for a top school PhD program? Should I retake the GRE? I am hoping for U of Chicago... Is there any advice you can give on how to boost my chances?

Since you're coming from outside the discipline, I should also mention that your SOP is by far the most important part of your application. You need to exhibit that you can understand sociological research and demonstrate that you have the potential to contribute to sociological knowledge. Adcomms want to see you do that in your SOP, and you'll be in an even better position if you're lucky enough to legitimately pique some of the faculty's interest with your research statement. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Sociopolitic, thank you for all of your thoughtful replies!

So I just retook the GRE and got 168V 155Q and 4.5W, is that an improvement lol?

?‍♂️

By the way, since your AW score is a tad low, make sure that your writing sample really shows that you know how to write! From what I understand, writing samples tend to mostly be skimmed to verify that the faculty won't have to teach you how to write. For domestic applicants, this usually means that their samples aren't looked at very long; international applicants tend to have these scrutinized a bit more closely, though.

• 3 months later...

Echoing what's above, since you're from outside the discipline the SoP is super important, and I would say the writing sample as well. If at all possible, try to create a stellar writing sample from some of the relevant research/experience you mentioned. Overall though I do think you have a good shot at a top 20 school.