Application strength - Fall 2019

Domhellen

I am a Bio student at USD and have approximately a 3.1-2 overall GPA but a 3.6 major GPA and have done really well the last few semesters.  I’m already studying really hard for the GRE in October. I’ve worked at a biotech company for 5 months (but did very little actual lab work), and will be 1st publisher on my research once I submit it at the end of summer. I also have extremely strong letters of rec. I’m planning on applying to bio PhD schools and was wondering if I had any shot? I would like to end up in like a top 50 grad school. 

On 7/2/2019 at 12:14 PM, Domhellen said:

I am a Bio student at USD and have approximately a 3.1-2 overall GPA but a 3.6 major GPA and have done really well the last few semesters.  I’m already studying really hard for the GRE in October. I’ve worked at a biotech company for 5 months (but did very little actual lab work), and will be 1st publisher on my research once I submit it at the end of summer. I also have extremely strong letters of rec. I’m planning on applying to bio PhD schools and was wondering if I had any shot? I would like to end up in like a top 50 grad school. 

It all depends on the strength of your statement of purpose and your letters of rec. Your GPA will definitely hold you back at schools that have GPA cut offs, but I know someone who had under a 3.0 and got into USC for a bio PhD. Contact faculty you're interested in working with in advance and build a relationship - that should help too if you have someone pulling for you on the inside.