2020 Fall Statistics/Biostatistics PhD Application Evaluation

Hello everyone,

I am a rising senior and planning to apply for PhD and/or master programs in Biostatistics/Bioinformatics. I am a bit lost in school selection.....

My GPA is low overall, but my major GPA is not bad. I have a 2.62 GPA in the first semester due to one econ class and one first-year seminar class. My GPA was better year by year. My schedule from last year was pretty nasty(lots of math and science class), but successful in grades. I like bio courses, but not good in grades. I have one class withdrawn and retook and only get a B. 

The following listed are my information. 

Undergraduate Institution: Rank 40 Liberal And Arts School

Majors: Mathematics (pure math) 

Minor: None

GPA: 3.45/4.0

Major GPA: 3.71/4.0

Type of Student: International (Asian male)

Courses taken:

• Math: Intro of Proof(Math reasoning) (A), Linear Algebra (B)--(7 kids in class, second highest), Calculus III (A-), Intro to Analysis (A), Differential Equations(A), Modern Geometry (A-), Math Modeling (A), Pure Math Seminar (A), History of Math (A), Abstract Algebra taken in summer school (B)
  • CS: Programming I (B+)
  • Stats: Statistical Methods (B+)
  • Science: Principles of Chemistry (A), Physics 1(A-), Physics 2 (A), Mol Cell Foundations of Life (B), Organismal Biology (withdraw and retake to get a B

Courses will take this fall: Genetics  Graph Theory  Dynamical Systems  Sports Analytics

GRE General Test:  Have not taken it yet. Must crack 325 in the future. 

GRE Subject Math: will take this September and /or October

Research Experience

one pure-math presentation at a math conference

1-year data analyzing research(continuing) in astrophysics-----one poster at academic festival

a 5-week summer research project about statistical analysis in circadian rhythm with a biology professor will continue in the fall----one presentation at the end of the summer

Working Experience:

1st year summer: TA of two social science class in a summer school; Lecturer of Tofel Vocabulary in an organization (both in China)

2ed year summer: a 3-month test internship in a start-up biomedical company in China

2ed year: one semester of chem lab assistant

Letters of Recommendation: One from a math professor. One from a physics professor that I worked with. One from a biology professor that I worked with. 

Currently considering schools:

master: JHU, UNC, UCB, Duke, Northwestern, Brown, Rice, Yale, Upenn

PhD: UT-MD Anderson, Medical Collge of Wisconsin, UMich, Umass-Amherst, UCLA, UCSD

Thank you in advance for your time and advice!

Edited by umichmydrm

Hi there, I graduated from UC Berkeley's masters program in Biostatistics in 2012.  From what you have posted, you seem to me to be more than fine to apply.  I had a very similar GPA - my overall GPA was 3.51, and I think it was 3.7 or 3.75 in my math classes.  I don't think it's a problem at all that you had a low GPA your first semester in college.  I got a C in a prerequisite math class, that I retook and still only ended up with a B+, and I got in.  I know that Berkeley looks a lot at the GRE score (told to me by a student when I applied) - they said it's a good indicator of success.  I had a 780/800 in the quant section in the old version of the test.  Looking at a conversion scale, I guess that's a 163 in the current version, though I know they decided to make it harder because a ton of people were getting 800's on the quantitative section in the old version.  They have an info session for applicants in the fall, and I went to it, and was told later it helped my application.  It seemed that they want to accept people who want to go there.  I had the same experience with UCLA - I wouldn't have stuck out from the pile of applicants, but I emailed someone there and asked if I could visit to find out about the program, they said sure, and it went very well and I got in there, too.  Tactfully showing interest goes a long way in my experience.  That said, I did the same thing with Harvard (asked to visit, they said sure, I went and met with a few folks), and the admissions clerk flat-out told me I wouldn't be considered because I didn't have an undergrad Math major.  My GRE scores, though higher than their average for accepted applicants, did not matter one bit.  She was very polite about it, I was not offended.  I still applied but I did not get into Harvard Biostatistics. 

The fact that you have an undergraduate degree in Math will really help you with admissions committees (see comments on Harvard above - have you considered applying there?  They have a great program).  From the stats you posted, I think you have more than cleared the baseline to be a strong applicant.  The process is very arbitrary and very good candidates like you still do not get in due to that, but there is no reason not to apply based on your background.  One other thing a student mentioned is to make sure you get letters of rec from people who will write you a strong letter (you can even ask "do you feel you would be able to write me a strong letter of recommendation?"), and make sure not to get someone who just says "this person got an A in my class".  It seems like everyone has something on their application they think isn't perfect and will prevent them from getting into a program.  I think they are more flexible than we think.  I also think that a "perfect" resume will not guarantee admission anywhere.  I wish you best of luck!!!

1 hour ago, AnnieM said:

Hi there, I graduated from UC Berkeley's masters program in Biostatistics in 2012.  From what you have posted, you seem to me to be more than fine to apply.  I had a very similar GPA - my overall GPA was 3.51, and I think it was 3.7 or 3.75 in my math classes.  I don't think it's a problem at all that you had a low GPA your first semester in college.  I got a C in a prerequisite math class, that I retook and still only ended up with a B+, and I got in.  I know that Berkeley looks a lot at the GRE score (told to me by a student when I applied) - they said it's a good indicator of success.  I had a 780/800 in the quant section in the old version of the test.  Looking at a conversion scale, I guess that's a 163 in the current version, though I know they decided to make it harder because a ton of people were getting 800's on the quantitative section in the old version.  They have an info session for applicants in the fall, and I went to it, and was told later it helped my application.  It seemed that they want to accept people who want to go there.  I had the same experience with UCLA - I wouldn't have stuck out from the pile of applicants, but I emailed someone there and asked if I could visit to find out about the program, they said sure, and it went very well and I got in there, too.  Tactfully showing interest goes a long way in my experience.  That said, I did the same thing with Harvard (asked to visit, they said sure, I went and met with a few folks), and the admissions clerk flat-out told me I wouldn't be considered because I didn't have an undergrad Math major.  My GRE scores, though higher than their average for accepted applicants, did not matter one bit.  She was very polite about it, I was not offended.  I still applied but I did not get into Harvard Biostatistics. 

The fact that you have an undergraduate degree in Math will really help you with admissions committees (see comments on Harvard above - have you considered applying there?  They have a great program).  From the stats you posted, I think you have more than cleared the baseline to be a strong applicant.  The process is very arbitrary and very good candidates like you still do not get in due to that, but there is no reason not to apply based on your background.  One other thing a student mentioned is to make sure you get letters of rec from people who will write you a strong letter (you can even ask "do you feel you would be able to write me a strong letter of recommendation?"), and make sure not to get someone who just says "this person got an A in my class".  It seems like everyone has something on their application they think isn't perfect and will prevent them from getting into a program.  I think they are more flexible than we think.  I also think that a "perfect" resume will not guarantee admission anywhere.  I wish you best of luck!!!

Thank you so much for your response. I have look at some forums and I have checked the UCB's website, they said the average GPA of students admitted was around 3.75, so I was shocked. I am still considering whether should I apply UCB's mph because it is somehow less competitive.  And for Harvard, I think I could not meet the prerequisite and so does Brown and Emory. Harvard requires a class of numerical analysis, which will only be offered at spring in my school. Emroy wants at least b+ at linear algebra, and a 3.5 or higher overall gpa. Brown wants a class of probability, which will only be offered at spring too. Do you think I should take some online courses to meet the prerequisite, or would that be weak to admissions?

Hi there, you're welcome, happy to help... yeah I think the average GPAs are a bit scary to look at - there will be some people with 3.9-4.0  GPAs, but that brings the average way up, so there are likely many below that.  Plus, they do look at the overall application.  UCB MPH is maybe less competitive, but when I was there, it seemed they didn't take a lot of classes with us.  There was some overlap, but that program was much less math-heavy.  Also, the benefit of the Biostatistics program is the close relationship with Berkeley's Statistics department.  It's easy to get teaching jobs in the Stats department, which gives you funding, and they are very nice.  I loved that aspect of Berkeley Biostats.  That is just my experience and preference - it really depends on how quantitative you want your classes and research to be.  Not sure what your situation is, but if you could take a year to finish some of those prerequisites and apply next year, I would do that.  It's just another year, goes by quickly, then you've opened up so many options.  I don't know how online courses are viewed, so you'd have to ask the admissions people in each department, but I took a course in C programming online so I could satisfy a prerequisite.  Either way, I really think taking a long shot and applying to some top-notch places even if you think the chances are slim, is a really good idea.  You never know. :)  

7 minutes ago, AnnieM said:

Hi there, you're welcome, happy to help... yeah I think the average GPAs are a bit scary to look at - there will be some people with 3.9-4.0  GPAs, but that brings the average way up, so there are likely many below that.  Plus, they do look at the overall application.  UCB MPH is maybe less competitive, but when I was there, it seemed they didn't take a lot of classes with us.  There was some overlap, but that program was much less math-heavy.  Also, the benefit of the Biostatistics program is the close relationship with Berkeley's Statistics department.  It's easy to get teaching jobs in the Stats department, which gives you funding, and they are very nice.  I loved that aspect of Berkeley Biostats.  That is just my experience and preference - it really depends on how quantitative you want your classes and research to be.  Not sure what your situation is, but if you could take a year to finish some of those prerequisites and apply next year, I would do that.  It's just another year, goes by quickly, then you've opened up so many options.  I don't know how online courses are viewed, so you'd have to ask the admissions people in each department, but I took a course in C programming online so I could satisfy a prerequisite.  Either way, I really think taking a long shot and applying to some top-notch places even if you think the chances are slim, is a really good idea.  You never know. :)  

I am actually considering to graduate a semester earlier. The thing is math department in my school is small, so there are not many stats faculty and most of them are taking a sabbatical next semester/year. Thus, the stats class in spring is not promised to be there, and mostly they offer more pure math and cs courses. In my situation, I am not willing to take more intro class in some other departments since I already took a bunch of them.... Also, it is a huge waste of money for my parents. Anyway, I am more than excited to apply UCB's MS just because I am more willing to deal with quantitative staff and willing to get in PhD program in the future! I think I will apply this year and see if I can get in some program!

Again, thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it!

8 hours ago, bayessays said:

This is not true.  Also, no school requires a math major and whoever provided you this information is very, very wrong.  Your major is irrelevant.

"All candidates for admission to Master’s programs are encouraged to have: Completed courses in: probability, statistics, advanced calculus or real analysis, and numerical analysis. On rare occasions the Department will admit students to our programs without this level of preparation with the understanding that the student will promptly make up any deficiencies, usually by taking additional courses prior to entering the program." Since my school is not guaranteed to have numerical analysis, I probably could not meet their requirements...

"encouraged" not required.  Also, you just sort of pasted two separate sentences from the admissions webpage together, when really they aren't related.  Stanford's PhD program doesn't require numerical analysis - Harvard biostatistics, one of the more applied biostat programs, certainly does not.  You may be misunderstanding their page if English is not your first language, please take my advice.  You do not need numerical analysis to apply to any biostatistics program. 

3 hours ago, bayessays said:

"encouraged" not required.  Also, you just sort of pasted two separate sentences from the admissions webpage together, when really they aren't related.  Stanford's PhD program doesn't require numerical analysis - Harvard biostatistics, one of the more applied biostat programs, certainly does not.  You may be misunderstanding their page if English is not your first language, please take my advice.  You do not need numerical analysis to apply to any biostatistics program. 

Gotcha, thanks for your clarification. 

• 1 month later...

I think your GPA is probably a bit too low for many PhD programs, especially as an international student who isn't coming from somewhere like UChicago, MIT, CalTech, etc. where a slightly lower GPA could be forgiven. The B in undergrad Linear Algebra might also be an issue. Is there an upper division linear algebra class offered that you can take and get an A in?

I would focus on Masters programs at well-regarded schools if I were you. In your MS program, you should aim to get all A's and also possibly take an advanced linear algebra class with proofs to show that you can get an A in this class (if you aren't able to take advanced LA at your current institution) -- then you can point this out in your statement of purpose, or have one of your letter writers point out that you got an A in advanced linear algebra.

Looking at your list, I think some of those MS programs might be more on the selective/competitive side (e.g. Duke and Yale). I would expand the list of Masters programs to apply to.

I have altered my list as follows: 

BIOSTATS PhD:  UMich   UMinn   BU   Medical College of Wisconsin 
BIOSTATS master:  Harvard  JHU   UNC   Columbia   UCLA  UPenn Yale  Duke  Vanderbilt 
STATS PhD:  GW UMass Amherst 
STATS master:  UW-Madison Cornell UC Davis Rice

I will apply UMich and UMinn for PhD because both of them will automatically consider me in master admission if I got rejected. All other PhD programs are what I am very interested. I will definitly apply more master programs instead. Is my school listing too ambitious now? 

On 9/1/2019 at 11:05 PM, umichmydrm said:

I have altered my list as follows: 

BIOSTATS PhD:  UMich   UMinn   BU   Medical College of Wisconsin 
BIOSTATS master:  Harvard  JHU   UNC   Columbia   UCLA  UPenn Yale  Duke  Vanderbilt 
STATS PhD:  GW UMass Amherst 
STATS master:  UW-Madison Cornell UC Davis Rice

I will apply UMich and UMinn for PhD because both of them will automatically consider me in master admission if I got rejected. All other PhD programs are what I am very interested. I will definitly apply more master programs instead. Is my school listing too ambitious now? 

You would also likely have a decent chance at UMich for the Bioinformatics MS. Many people use that to transfer over into PhD when they've found a lab. The Bioinformatics program is flexible with allowing mentors from other departments if their work is related to computational biology. That's how I got a Mathematics professor for my advisor. Quite a few Biostats people collaborate with UMich Bioinformatics.

6 hours ago, jmillar said:

You would also likely have a decent chance at UMich for the Bioinformatics MS. Many people use that to transfer over into PhD when they've found a lab. The Bioinformatics program is flexible with allowing mentors from other departments if their work is related to computational biology. That's how I got a Mathematics professor for my advisor. Quite a few Biostats people collaborate with UMich Bioinformatics.

Thanks, I will look at it!