Bad recommender

Hello all, I am a student from Vietnam who is planning to apply for PhD at a US grad school in 2020 (PhD starts in 2021).

I have a prof who is my advisor both in my scientific projects and thesis so it is quite certain that one of my LoRs be from him. However it seems like he is not a good recommender. Recently I asked him to write for me a LoR for a merit-based prize that was relatively small but required a LoR. He said he did not have time so he told me to write it and email him the letter (guess this happens in a lot of Asian countries). I tried to make the letter as specific as possible; I looked for good, detailed sample letters on the Internet. After I sent him the letter for checking all he did was deleting every single detail I added and I can only say that the modified letter looked exactly as my CV: simply listing out what I did but actually with no in-depth information! It was like "This student's project was 'name' " and that's it!

For a small-scale prize like that one this actually was not really a serious minus but for grad school application I know this kind of LoR will make me rejected by every school I apply to. But it is difficult to find another LoR writer as this prof is my advisor so he "is supposed to" know me the best. What should I do in this situation? 

Thank you