Sorting, Filing, and Maintaining your "To be Read" pieces

Tigla

Hi all. I hope we all are enjoying the summer a bit before the new semester/year kicks off. I have a quick question about storing articles for future reading. I use Zotero, OneNote, Microsoft Word, Listary, and OneDrive to keep my digital library, notes, and papers in order. The issue I am coming across is my god awful "to be read" folder and document. If I find an article or book chapter that I want to read later, I download it, name it, and file it in my "to be read" folder. Then, I add it to an excel spreadsheet with all the other pieces I need to read. This system is not working for me because I tend to lose track of where I am in my "to be read" section and sometimes it does not correspond to my "to be read" folder. How do you sort, file, and maintain your "to be read" pieces?

I'm still tweaking my system, but have a few different methods. 

1. If it's for my current research, I'll print the front page of the article at least and put it in an "active" folder that I check on a regular basis. If I don't print some marker of its existence, I'll forget about it. 

2. If it's for future research, I create a folder in Zotero and put in the information, noting if I've downloaded the article or where the book is located. For instance, I have two projects that may be future research and each one has sub-collection under "Future Projects" in Zotero.

3. Books that may be helpful but I'm not ready to ILL or buy, get put onto an Amazon wish list.