FALL 2020 PhD in STATISTICS EVALUATION

Hello,

I'm going to be a senior year student in statistics in the upcoming Fall, and I want to apply to PhD's in statistics. At this point, I think I want to focus on machine/deep learning. Some concerns with my application is that I have 1 withdraw in Linear Algebra due to stressful time, but I retake and got an A. Moreover, I got low GRE verbal score. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Undergrad Institution: Top 100 USNews Public
Major(s): Statistics
Minor(s): Business Analysis, and Economics
GPA: 3.54 
Type of Student:  Asian (International Application)

GRE General Test: 165Q/140V/3AWA 

Research Experience:  
- Statistic research competition (not in top 5) but received research award
- Currently doing statistics research currently work on and hopefully can get public or presentation in December 2019.
- Consulting statistics research work for Department of Neuroscience (Graduate course level). 
- Research in with professor in Economics (clean, and gather data, nothing special).
- Presentation with a statistic paper at Undergraduate Workshop (The Statistical and Applied Mathematics Sciences Institute)
Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  Top 5 students received award from department of mathematics and statistics since freshman 
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Grader 1 semester in freshman for Abstract Math, 2 years tutoring
Letters of Recommendation: One professor undergraduate program director (not attending in her class but work close with her since freshman) , the statistic professor I'm currently doing research, and one professor I had taken his course (graduate course). They should be good
Undergraduate Courses: Probability and statistics I, II(A, B+), Linear Algebra (W, retake A), Mathematics Statistics I (A-), Calc 3 (A-), Different Equation (A), Introduce to Analysis (B-), will take Applied Statistics I II in senior years
Graduate Courses: Mathematics Statistics II (A), Applied Bayesian class (B), Stochastic Processes (B), Advanced R and SAS class (A), will take Topic in Applied Statistics (Survey Sampling), Machine Learning, Applied Linear Algebra, and Nonparametric Statistics.
Software: R (3 years), Python, SQL, Tableau, LaTex, C++.
Program: PhD in Statistics, and MS in Statistics

School List

image.png.ad46952538ff4e18f7b3da1dae8036fc.png

Any feedback is much appreciated
Edited by Peter Huynh

Your B- in analysis and your GRE verbal score are going to kill your application.  Competition for international students is intense and I don't really see a clear path to you getting a PhD. 

If you are sure you want to get a PhD, my only thought would be to try to get into a low ranked master's at a somewhat reputable school, retake analysis, get a near 4.0, and improve your English so you can do better on the GRE but it's going to be an uphill battle. 

49 minutes ago, bayessays said:

Your B- in analysis and your GRE verbal score are going to kill your application.  Competition for international students is intense and I don't really see a clear path to you getting a PhD. 

If you are sure you want to get a PhD, my only thought would be to try to get into a low ranked master's at a somewhat reputable school, retake analysis, get a near 4.0, and improve your English so you can do better on the GRE but it's going to be an uphill battle. 

Thank you for your information!
I wonder between retake Introduce to Analysis (I took this class when I was sophomore) and Advance Cal I (real analysis I), which option is better?

Thanks

@Peter Huynh I will say that withdrawing from a class and retaking it doesn’t seem to affect your application that much. I also withdrew from linear algebra, retook it for an A and was then accepted into some top 10 PhD programs.

However, that’s mainly besides the point for the reasons mentioned above by others.