Does my background fit the grad programs I apply?

Yiran Jia

Question

Hello:)

My name is Yiran,  and I'm going to apply for some graduate programs this year Dec-Jan. I'm not sure if the programs I've chosen best fit my academic background (if they are too good to me?).

I graduated with B.S. Economics (GPA 3.56) and B.A. Communication (GPA (3.57) from the University of Washington Seattle in 2018. Then I worked as a full-time data analyst at Philips Healthcare and part-time student at the University of Washington Bothell for one year. Now I'm a UW Bothell student pursuing a B.S Math degree, and will finish in Spring 2020. My current average Math GPA is 3.73. Here's the list of math class I've taken so far (I got AP credit for Calculus II):

image.png.04a5f29f9570b3f9a377887b4cf488f2.png

I want to apply for Fall 2020 graduate programs /Ph.D., and here's my list of 18 programs:

image.png.3c4f0cc6348955579634a3944ee45939.png

Any advice is deeply appreciated! Thank you in advance for your help!

Thank you!

Yiran

image.png

1 answer to this question

I think we would need a bit more background to give a realistic estimate- do you have practice GRE scores available yet?

I think those are a great variety of universities, but I would strongly encourage you to add 2 universities with a bit lower notoriety/name recognition.  Find the programs that have the research that you find most interesting, don't simply apply because they sound fancy.