Distinction between Counselling and Clinical Psychology in Canada

logical_emotion

Question

I am looking into applying to this program at the University of Toronto: Master of Education in Counselling Psychology Counselling & Psychotherapy Field: https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/aphd/Home/Future_Students/Master_s_Degrees/Master_s_Degrees_for_Domestic_Students.html. Although I originally wanted to become a Clinical Psychologist, I am becoming increasingly disillusioned by the process, particularly the need for a thesis course or research experience (which I do not have either). Now, before someone does mention it, I know the Clinical Psychology program is heavily research focused so that is why they require it, but I cannot justify, financially or time wise, going back to university just for a thesis course. Also, I should mention as an aside that I am interested in research and know it propels the practice forward, but I just feel so behind in terms of my research experience. I have the practical experience though, which is what I want to do anyway. 

I am very practically minded and love my current job which is working directly with veterans in group and individual therapy with a variety of mental health challenges.  I have experience in the field working with different approaches (ACT, CBT, MBCT etc.) and in different populations (adults, teenagers, children). I love this type of work and can see myself doing it for a very long time. My main questions are: Can anyone clear up the distinction between Counselling and Clinical Psychology in Canada? What are the differences in terms of the people I can help/treat? Any differences in terms of salary and need in the market? Does anyone know any other programs in Counselling or Clinical Psychology in Ontario that don't require the research/thesis requirement? Lastly, even though it is not a requirement listed in this program on the website, will not having any research exposure harm my chances into this particular program?

Thanks

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet