2nd Bachelor's vs Post-bacc for Clinical Psych Phd?

burkeidaho

Question

Hi all, I'm new here, in the process of gathering information about applying to clinical psych PhD programs. I got my BA in Philosophy with 3.54 GPA but unfortunately, with little to no guidance on how to use my undergrad degree to set up my life (I came from an abusive family from which I am now estranged and didn't have any consistent adult role models in my life to advise me), I didn't think about career options at all. So aside from stuff like Philosophy Club and intramural sports I didn't do much in the way of extracurriculars.

I'd like to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology and I'm wondering if it's worth it to pursue a second Bachelor's first, or would it be helpful/adequate to go for a post-bacc program instead? I'm wondering if I would be able to get any or enough research experience in a post-bacc program. Also, wondering what is involved in getting a second bachelor's and how long that would take. In the way of life experience since college, I've held jobs in the counseling/mental health world, become a certified yoga teacher, and been self-employed in a variety of endeavors, among other things. I have a good idea of where I want to go career and research-wise but need to start the task of re-working my life and qualifications to apply for doctorate programs. Any advice would be very helpful! Thank you.

1 answer to this question

The best thing to do is try to get research experience in a psych lab. You can try looking for paid lab coordinator positions or just try to volunteer if you can't find any openings for paid positions. Research experience is one of the biggest factors in getting into a clinical psych PhD program, and you also want to try to get authorship on posters/papers. You don't need to do any sort of formal schooling. However, I would look into the pre-req courses that most programs require (abnormal, research methods, stats, etc) and make sure you have those. You can do a formal post-bacc program if you want or just see if you can take those classes at a local college unmatriculated, whichever is cheaper.  

Fair warning, clinical psych PhD programs are very competitive and applicants often take 2+ cycles before they are accepted. Research experience and research fit are the biggest factors to consider. Check out the Psycholog subforum for more threads about applying to psych programs.