UBC or UTSA

hello all....

I have got admitted into UBC's (Vancouver) Masters in Civil (Environmental) Engineering program for Fall 2010. On the other hand, I have also got admitted in UTSA's PhD in ESE program for the same semester. Both programs are providing me with sufficient funds. I know about UBC that it has a world class reputation for almost every field it has but don't know much about UTSA (University of Texas at San Antonio). Though the research areas that UTSA has looks good but really don't know about it in depth. Can anyone help me putting some light on it?? I have heard that doing PhD from a better ranked school is always important whereas doing masters from a mid ranked school is okay.

hello all....

I have got admitted into UBC's (Vancouver) Masters in Civil (Environmental) Engineering program for Fall 2010. On the other hand, I have also got admitted in UTSA's PhD in ESE program for the same semester. Both programs are providing me with sufficient funds. I know about UBC that it has a world class reputation for almost every field it has but don't know much about UTSA (University of Texas at San Antonio). Though the research areas that UTSA has looks good but really don't know about it in depth. Can anyone help me putting some light on it?? I have heard that doing PhD from a better ranked school is always important whereas doing masters from a mid ranked school is okay.

I would must go to UBC if I were you!!! UBC is among the top 5 schools in Canada and an MS from there would certainly get you into Top 10 USA school for PhD!!!

From which batch are you from?

Regards

I am from HSC 2001 batch...by the way...which universities did u apply to?

Hi Bhaiya I am from 2003 batch :)

I applied to US universities only:

1. Case Western Reserve University (Got rejected)

2. Clemson University (Admitted without funding; declined)

3. University of Colorado at Boulder (Pending)

4. Louisiana State University (Pending; probably rejected)

5. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Pending)

6. University of Maryland at Baltimore County (TA with $37000 Assistance including Tuition and other fess)

7. University of Houston (Fund $22000+Health Insurance $4100+Tuition $8500+University Presidential Fellowship $4000=total $38600) (Probably going there if not UC-Bouler or UIUC)

8. University of Virginia (Rejected)

9. University of South Carolina (pending)

Best of luck Bhaiya with UBC. A GREAT SCHOOL!!!