Profile Evaluation MS/PhD Stats

Hi, I'm a year out of college and looking to get my Masters in Statistics, looking to start in Fall 2020. I might apply to a couple of Phd programs as well.

Undergraduate Institution: Top 10 LAC

Major: Economics

Minor: Math

GPA: 3.51/4.00; Major GPA: 3.54; Minor GPA: 3.67

Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE General: 170Q (96%); 157V (77%); 5.5W (92%)

Programs Applying:  MS/Phd Statistics

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from my probability and mathematical statistics class professor; 1 from my Econometrics professor; 1 from boss. I think these will be pretty good.

Relevant Coursework:  Calculus I (B); Calculus II (B-); Multivariable Calculus (B+); Linear Algebra (A-); Intro to Proofs (A-); Math Modeling (A-); Probability (A-); Mathematical Statistics (A-); Statistics (A); Econometrics (B+); Computational Economics (A); Game Theory (A); taking Real Analysis in Fall 2019

Skills: R, Stata, Excel, LaTeX, Python

Relevant Research: worked 1+ years as research assistant for an economist working in government

Work Experience: Research assistant for Economist working in government; TA for Statistics class

Programs I am considering:

PhD: UMass Amherst, UC Santa Cruz

Masters: University of Chicago, Ohio State, Purdue, Wake Forest, Miami (OH), UCLA, University of Michigan, UMass Amherst, Brown (Biostatistics), UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara

Are these programs reasonable ones for me to apply to? What ranking of programs should I be considering for both PhD and Masters? I think I more interested in doing a Masters, but am considering a PhD also.

Thanks!

Edited by MastersStats

It looks like you have a good upward trend in your courses which admissions committees like to see. I think you could get into a good bit of master's programs, even some decent PhD programs. Rankings shouldn't be your number one concern, as some lower ranking programs are actually much more competitive. I also believe if you don't want to go for a PhD you should apply mainly for master's programs, many of which can be funded at least partially, especially at schools that do not offer a PhD.

I think you have the right idea. I had an incredibly similar profile out of undergrad, but with some significant research experience that helped me out.  If you're interested in biostatistics, I think they'll be more forgiving of your early math grades and you could apply to programs outside the top few with some chance there.  Getting an A in analysis will help.  If you go to a respected (preferably funded) MS program, ace it, get some letters from known people, you can really increase your chance at higher programs.