Decision help! UCSB Bren vs. U Maryland vs. Yale FES

Help! I've finally narrowed down my grad school choices, but as I am unable to visit any schools before deciding, I'm wondering if anybody has the personal experience or information to comment on the following programs:

• UCSB's Bren School of Environmental Science & Management (MESM program)
  • U Maryland's dual-degree program in Public Policy (MPP) and Conservation Biology (MS), a 3-year program
  • Yale's School of Forestry & Environmental Studies (MEM)

For reference I am interested in studying coastal marine conservation, and my primary interest is science. I am looking for intensive training in ecology (primarily marine, coastal, estuarine/wetlands and restoration), GIS, quantitative methods/modeling, environmental policy analysis, economic analysis, as well as other aspects of environmental problem-solving: negotiation, ethics, leadership. I could see myself working for the public sector, non-profit conservation, or even consulting after graduating, so I'm looking for a school that prepares people well for real careers.

Based on scholarships I've been offered, Yale would be the cheapest, U Maryland would be second, and UCSB would be the priciest; unfortunately cost is a major consideration for me. I feel the most efficient, professional training for my interests (and only two years) would be UCSB. Yale's program seems more directed to social science people and managers, and their science classes seem to lack lots of field and lab components (less marine offerings too). So I don't know if Yale trains capable environmental scientists in its MEM program. U Maryland looks great, has tons of field- and lab-intensive science courses, but seems less efficiently-organized; also, I don't know how quantitatively intense their MPP program is.

Does anybody have firsthand information or anecdotes about the student and academic life at any of these schools that one can't get from the websites? Any firsthand experience working with graduates of these programs? Is anyone else in a similiar decision situation?

I can offer a few observations about Bren. I know very little about Yale's program or Maryland's, although I get the sense that Bren modeled its curriculum off the Yale program and the Duke Nicholas program. Bren likes to boast about how it's on the rise and it does seem to have built a solid reputation in just over 10 years. I think the program is really oriented to practical training, with the group masters project and group work in general a big emphasis. I was told by someone in the admissions office there that if you aren't interested in doing a lot of collaborative group work, Bren wasn't the right program for you.

If you want to do coastal/marine policy, UCSB would be a great place to be. The marine biology program is top notch and the location is prime for field work and policy work as well. However, I don't get the sense that the quantitative training is particularly intense, and the program seems really science-focused with fewer faculty working on policy problems specifically.

As you probably gathered, cost of living in the area is very high, especially for housing. But in my opinion the SB area is a great place to live (ocean sports, lots of hiking, great climate) and you should be able to get in-state tuition after a year.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more. I have a friend who graduated from Bren and is now doing consulting work. He didn't do coastal policy but I could put you in touch if you'd like. I've also been admitted and will attend the students day, but it's not my top choice at this point because I'm looking for a bit more quantitative and straight policy preparation.

Edited by wooldogg

• 7 months later...

Do you remember when Bren usually notifies people? How generous is the Bren school generally with international students?

And what about Yale?

Any infor will be greatly appreciated!!!

I can offer a few observations about Bren. I know very little about Yale's program or Maryland's, although I get the sense that Bren modeled its curriculum off the Yale program and the Duke Nicholas program. Bren likes to boast about how it's on the rise and it does seem to have built a solid reputation in just over 10 years. I think the program is really oriented to practical training, with the group masters project and group work in general a big emphasis. I was told by someone in the admissions office there that if you aren't interested in doing a lot of collaborative group work, Bren wasn't the right program for you.

If you want to do coastal/marine policy, UCSB would be a great place to be. The marine biology program is top notch and the location is prime for field work and policy work as well. However, I don't get the sense that the quantitative training is particularly intense, and the program seems really science-focused with fewer faculty working on policy problems specifically.

As you probably gathered, cost of living in the area is very high, especially for housing. But in my opinion the SB area is a great place to live (ocean sports, lots of hiking, great climate) and you should be able to get in-state tuition after a year.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more. I have a friend who graduated from Bren and is now doing consulting work. He didn't do coastal policy but I could put you in touch if you'd like. I've also been admitted and will attend the students day, but it's not my top choice at this point because I'm looking for a bit more quantitative and straight policy preparation.