Boston College, MA Philosophy & Theology - funding?

ascension

Have any students in the joint MA in Philosophy & Theology at Boston College gotten funding from either the department or the university? If so, please comment below or PM me! I'm very interested in this program but concerned about the cost (~70k/year including living expenses). The program website doesn't say anything about funding. 

On 8/18/2019 at 7:02 PM, ascension said:

Have any students in the joint MA in Philosophy & Theology at Boston College gotten funding from either the department or the university? If so, please comment below or PM me! I'm very interested in this program but concerned about the cost (~70k/year including living expenses). The program website doesn't say anything about funding. 

It seems to me that there probably isn't funding for MA students except in special circumstances.

https://www.bc.edu/content/bc-web/schools/mcas/departments/theology/graduate/current-grads/resources.html#funding

On the Mammon List there are some opportunities grad students can apply for.

There is funding for PhD students, though:

You may want to ask the director of graduate admissions about funding opportunities for MA's. My guess is that you should have low expectations. Not because BC is bad, but because funded MA's are rare at PhD granting programs.

Edited by Duns Eith

• 1 month later...

I know I'm two months late here.

When I was an undergrad, my professor knew that this was my field of interest, and told me explicitly, "do not apply to BC for a masters, it's a cash cow". According to former students of hers, there is no funding at the MA. I can't speak to the PHD level, but that was direct advice given to me by a professor who does a lot of work helping students prepare for graduate school applications.