MSW vs. MFT vs. MHC

Hi everyone! I'm going to be applying to professional programs this fall/winter but am getting such mixed reviews on the benefits of MSW/MFT/MHC degrees. I know that the kinds of programs I apply to will be partially reliant on location (my S.O. is looking for jobs, and I'm going to be looking for programs in/near the same city), but can someone help me clarify what the difference is between these kinds of programs?

For background, I have a lot of research experience (I had been planning on going for Clinical Psych PhD programs but had a mild quarter life crisis and decided not to), but am more interested in direct practice. I have a little bit of "practice" experience through a peer counseling program at the university I work at, and I would ideally like to work with adolescents (particularly interested in eating disorders) and possibly their families. However, I'd also like the flexibility to possibly be on a research team at some point (not a PI)

Some people have told me that an MSW degree is more flexible, and because of NASW is the way to go, but others have told me that with either an MFT or MHC you get more direct practice training. I've also been told MFTs and MSWs are both great but that MHC programs aren't as well received? HELP PLS. I'm so confused about the differences in quality and in training!

I'm sure there is another post somewhere on this site, so feel free to just point me in that direction. Would love to hear about experiences of others in this kinds of programs!

My advice would be to look at the curriculum of programs you are interested in to better understand the differences in degrees. The MSW is very social and economic justice oriented. I encourage you to read the NASW Code of Ethics and browse around the website.

In general an MHC or MFT is going to narrow your career focus and options. You will be trained to provide therapy. An MSW will train you in therapy, community organizing, advanced case management, policy, leadership, etc. The MSW is more broad because social workers work in many different types of organizations and in many different roles. That is why the degree is considered more flexible. You can be a therapist, you can be a case manager, you can work in policy, you can work in program development, you can work in advocacy... the possibilities are vast. You can work in nonprofits, government agencies, hospitals, private companies, managed care organizations, private practice, etc. 

If you start out as a therapist and decide that's not for you or 5, 10, 15+ years from now want to do something else, you can transition more easily with an MSW in my opinion.

I started out as an outpatient therapist in community mental health then transitioned to medical social work, which is more on the case management side. In my experience MSWs are the ones typically promoted into leadership and management roles. 

There are fewer LMFTs and LPCs so it can be more difficult  to find supervision. You will want to research the area you plan to live and practice in to assess how difficult this may be. 

I'm not sure if this has changed, but years ago LCSWs were the only ones that could bill Medicare and therefore are preferred by a lot of agencies. This may have changed so that's something to look into and consider.

I would also encourage you to look into licensing requirements for the state you want to live in to gain insight into what will be expected of you for an independent license. If you plan to move around, LCSW requirements vary widely from state-to-state, whereas LPC is more transferable (pretty sure I'm remembering correctly, but double check this). I'm unsure how the LMFT transfers. 

Hopefully this has provided some helpful information. :D

10 hours ago, louise86 said:

My advice would be to look at the curriculum of programs you are interested in to better understand the differences in degrees. The MSW is very social and economic justice oriented. I encourage you to read the NASW Code of Ethics and browse around the website.

In general an MHC or MFT is going to narrow your career focus and options. You will be trained to provide therapy. An MSW will train you in therapy, community organizing, advanced case management, policy, leadership, etc. The MSW is more broad because social workers work in many different types of organizations and in many different roles. That is why the degree is considered more flexible. You can be a therapist, you can be a case manager, you can work in policy, you can work in program development, you can work in advocacy... the possibilities are vast. You can work in nonprofits, government agencies, hospitals, private companies, managed care organizations, private practice, etc. 

If you start out as a therapist and decide that's not for you or 5, 10, 15+ years from now want to do something else, you can transition more easily with an MSW in my opinion.

I started out as an outpatient therapist in community mental health then transitioned to medical social work, which is more on the case management side. In my experience MSWs are the ones typically promoted into leadership and management roles. 

There are fewer LMFTs and LPCs so it can be more difficult  to find supervision. You will want to research the area you plan to live and practice in to assess how difficult this may be. 

I'm not sure if this has changed, but years ago LCSWs were the only ones that could bill Medicare and therefore are preferred by a lot of agencies. This may have changed so that's something to look into and consider.

I would also encourage you to look into licensing requirements for the state you want to live in to gain insight into what will be expected of you for an independent license. If you plan to move around, LCSW requirements vary widely from state-to-state, whereas LPC is more transferable (pretty sure I'm remembering correctly, but double check this). I'm unsure how the LMFT transfers. 

Hopefully this has provided some helpful information. :D

Thank you!! This was super helpful!! The area I'll be in has not yet been determined, which is maybe why I'm having such a hard time! All of this is great advice though, I appreciate it!