sfai apartment hunt

bou

I got accepted to SFAI's grad painting program, and now have begun to investigate apartments. I'm an international student coming from Canada, and want to find other SFAI students to live with. does anyone know good places to look, for cheaper apartments, and for SFAI students looking for roommates? and please for the love of god don't debbie downer me with horrifying stories, overstated prices or anything of the sort.... looking for some realistic optimism here... thanks!

My sister is living in oakland and attending SFAI. She is only 3 or 4 blocks from BART(public transit train). Oakland is less expensive to live in and only about 20 min of travel to SF. On the weekends there are events to talk too from her apartment like a flee market. Its less dynamic than living in SF. It was much less expensive than living in the ugly area of SF she lived in her first year there. I cant remember how much she is paying now but she has a two bedroom with another AI student. I 'think' she was paying 1300 for a single and now she is paying around 1400(together with her roommate) for a two bedroom.

Edited by nathancotephoto

Congrats on your acceptance...I've been accepted for the photo post-bacc but I haven't decided where I'll be going.

I lived in San Francisco last year. If you'll be depending on public transportation to get around, try utilizing the Bay Area public transit website, 511.org, as you're looking for places on Craigslist so you can see how long it will take for you to get to school. Looking for a place in Berkeley or Oakland that's close to BART will take you right into SF in no time, even faster than if you live in the outer parts of SF.

If you can afford a couple of weeks in a weekly rate hotel, I would recommend grabbing a room in downtown SF around Union Square or Nob Hill and explore SF, Berkeley and Oakland to really get a feel for what neighborhood you like. There really is something for everyone but I don't know what your standard of living and budget details are so that's what I would recommend.

If you offer more specifics, you'll definitely get more advice!

thanks for the advice. as far as my standards of living. I'm looking for rent that's under 700, and to live with other students, somewhere that's on the safe side. i do want to live in san fran, and i know it's expensive, and i'm currently trying to find some sort of forum or something to get me in touch with other sfai students to find people looking for roommates... but this is proving pretty difficult so far.

I'm looking to stay under 700 as well if I'm going back to SF- I'll get in touch if I do end up attending. You should be able to find something in your price range, especially since we'll have studios so the rent is pretty much just for a place to sleep. Cheap rents are most plentiful on the west side of the city, in the Sunset and Ingleside neighborhoods, but you're looking at quiet neighborhoods and residential type places and the commute can be a drag. You should be able to find something within your price range anywhere though, it's just a matter of digging hard enough. Rent control and karma are major factors in this. Convenience-wise I would personally recommend the eastern part of the city but the whole Bay Area is so awesome that no matter where you live the weather is great, the people are nice, and you will be at home with millions of other artists and rad people.

Edited by littlemels

I'm starting to figure out a bit about the areas, but online just isn't the same. you should definitely contact me if you end up going back! and i'll start looking in the neighbourhoods you suggested. I'm not looking for a residential area, i want to be where the students are, and not end up at the very bottom of a giant hill, or in the sketchiest part of town. It's hard to find places in a city i've never been, thanks for answering my post!

I'm looking to stay under 700 as well if I'm going back to SF- I'll get in touch if I do end up attending. You should be able to find something in your price range, especially since we'll have studios so the rent is pretty much just for a place to sleep. Cheap rents are most plentiful on the west side of the city, in the Sunset and Ingleside neighborhoods, but you're looking at quiet neighborhoods and residential type places and the commute can be a drag. You should be able to find something within your price range anywhere though, it's just a matter of digging hard enough. Rent control and karma are major factors in this. Convenience-wise I would personally recommend the eastern part of the city but the whole Bay Area is so awesome that no matter where you live the weather is great, the people are nice, and you will be at home with millions of other artists and rad people.

I am likely going to be attending CCA, so as I begin to look at apts. I will post my findings. I really love SF and I felt amazing while I was there this weekend. It really does seem like a great place!