Feeling indecisive about which class to drop

Hey all!

I'm starting the first semester of my Master's in History on Monday, but I ran into a bit of a problem. My first problem is that I have a graduate assistantship that will keep me working for ~20 hours a week. My other problem is that I managed to misread something on my school's website, and I'm taking too many classes, but I have no idea which class I should drop, since I also tend to be pretty indecisive at the worst possible moment. Currently, I'm taking:

• US History (Lecture)
  • Medieval Military History (Lecture)
  • Methods of Historical Research (Mandatory first-semester seminar)
  • Seminar in European History (seminar)

Currently, I'm leaning towards dropping the European History seminar, since I have no idea what to expect course-wise from a seminar class other than the extreme basics, which my Research class will probably teach me. Dropping the seminar would also give me the few more hours that I would need to work for my assistantship.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

On 8/24/2019 at 2:51 PM, HeatMiser said:

Hey all!

I'm starting the first semester of my Master's in History on Monday, but I ran into a bit of a problem. My first problem is that I have a graduate assistantship that will keep me working for ~20 hours a week. My other problem is that I managed to misread something on my school's website, and I'm taking too many classes, but I have no idea which class I should drop, since I also tend to be pretty indecisive at the worst possible moment. Currently, I'm taking:

• US History (Lecture)
  • Medieval Military History (Lecture)
  • Methods of Historical Research (Mandatory first-semester seminar)
  • Seminar in European History (seminar)

Currently, I'm leaning towards dropping the European History seminar, since I have no idea what to expect course-wise from a seminar class other than the extreme basics, which my Research class will probably teach me. Dropping the seminar would also give me the few more hours that I would need to work for my assistantship.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

@HeatMiser Welcome to the grad cafe. You may get a wider range of points of view were you to post this question in the history forum. https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/38-history/

(There, you may be asked about your intended fields, the topic/class you'll be working on as a GA, and, maybe, if you're on a thesis/report/no thesis option in your M.A. program.)