LOR from professor who left academia?

eliaa

Hi everyone!

I am currently working on my applications for history phd programs for fall 2020. I completed my undergrad in history in 2016, and have worked at a nonprofit since which provides services directly tied to my research interests. One of my coworkers at my nonprofit is actually my former professor - she taught an intro to women's studies class that deeply influenced my work and research. Since it was only an intro class, not in my direct field, & she left academia, would this be a weak LOR? I'm conflicted, because I do think she can uniquely speak to how my research interests and work experience are connected, and she knows me and my work super super well. For the record, my other 2 LOR writers are a current professor and a very recently retired professor (both in history) so would that even it out? Thanks so much for all your help!!

20 hours ago, eliaa said:

Hi everyone!

I am currently working on my applications for history phd programs for fall 2020. I completed my undergrad in history in 2016, and have worked at a nonprofit since which provides services directly tied to my research interests. One of my coworkers at my nonprofit is actually my former professor - she taught an intro to women's studies class that deeply influenced my work and research. Since it was only an intro class, not in my direct field, & she left academia, would this be a weak LOR? I'm conflicted, because I do think she can uniquely speak to how my research interests and work experience are connected, and she knows me and my work super super well. For the record, my other 2 LOR writers are a current professor and a very recently retired professor (both in history) so would that even it out? Thanks so much for all your help!!

@eliaa, welcome to the Grad Cafe. Your question may generate more activity were it posted in the history forum https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/38-history/