Out of State vs In State

clj24

Question

I am applying to an MSW or Psychology grad program next Fall (2020). Taking a year to decided which route I really want to go in.

My main concern right now is deciding to go out of state or stay in state. I live in California and did my undergrad in Arizona. I've never been one to want to stay in CA but it's home so there is that possibility. I would stay and work in the state i receive my license in but just want to know 

• Is it easier to get my license in CA and then transfer out OR
  • go out of state and come back to CA, if I decide too?

Hope this makes sense and someone has some insight on this.

Thank you ?

1 answer to this question

An MSW from a CSWE accredited program will allow you to transfer across states. An MA level mental health counseling license or marriage family therapist licence is a little harder, as each state has it's own requirements. There is no MA license in psych, only doctorate. If it's an APA accredited program, you will generally meet the licensing requirements of most states. The best thing to do is look up the licensure requirements of each state you're interested in and see how they compare. Then, make sure whatever programs you're interested in meet the most requirements of the most stringent state you may want to practice in.