Is this a bad idea?

Golgotha

Hey guys.

So I was internally wait-listed at my top institution, which happens to be my undergrad institution as well. My POI is also my undergraduate thesis adviser, LOR writer, and I've done a lot of coursework under him so he knows me really well and has been impressed with my current/past work. Well, he basically told me that if I got accepted into the grad program, he has an opening in his lab that he'd like to offer me.

Now, is it a good idea to ask this professor to speak with those in admissions and try to sway the odds in my favor? Or is this in bad taste? Hell, is it even possible to influence their decisions at this point in the game?

*It should be noted that I've already sent him an e-mail out of pure haste and desperation, and in retrospection I realize it might have been a really bad idea, but I honestly have no clue.

Feedback is appreciated.

Just from an ethical standpoint, I wouldn't. However, I also wouldn't panic too much about it if you have already sent him something. As someone, who is on the regular wait list for my dream school, I can relate to how frustrating being on a wait list is. Professors are people too, and this one since he already knows you really well, will probably not think different of you, if you sent him a hasty e-mail under pressure.

Thanks for your reply. Yea in the e-mail I sent to him, I told him that I wasn't sure if the e-mail was appropriate and that I wouldn't be offended at all if he declined, so I'm hoping he understands that I'm not trying to put him in an awkward position or anything. I guess we'll see what his response is!

I think there are acceptable indirect ways of asking a professor to intervene on your behalf. The simplest one that comes to mind is to thank the professor for his offer and let him know that you are still wait-listed but would gladly accept the offer if admitted, because the school is your top choice. You can follow that up with asking if the professor knows when wait-listed applicants should hear news of their status. This way you are reaffirming your interest, and the professor can choose to promote your application, if they want to.

I think there are acceptable indirect ways of asking a professor to intervene on your behalf. The simplest one that comes to mind is to thank the professor for his offer and let him know that you are still wait-listed but would gladly accept the offer if admitted, because the school is your top choice. You can follow that up with asking if the professor knows when wait-listed applicants should hear news of their status. This way you are reaffirming your interest, and the professor can choose to promote your application, if they want to.

Spot on. Could not agree more.