Advice for a non-math major applying for Statistics MS

cm603044

Hi everyone,

I graduated college in 2017 with a degree in Business Intelligence & Analytics and a minor in Computer Science (GPA: 3.53) and have been considering going back to school part-time to get my masters in applied math or statistics (though preferably statistics).

I took more “applied” courses in college like Data Mining (A), R Programming (A) and Advanced Business Analytics (A-) but not many traditional math courses besides Calc I (B) and Intro to Statistics, which I actually got credit for by taking the AP test in high school. Since then, I’ve taken Calc II (B), Linear Algebra (A) and Calc III (B-) at UMass and WPI. I’m worried that my math background still isn’t strong enough to get me into any programs. Would it be worthwhile for me to take the math subject test?

I’ve been a Quantitative Analyst for the past two years so I do have work experience in the field and, since I want to keep my job, I’m mainly looking in the Boston, DC and San Francisco areas where my team members are located (I’m currently in Boston).

Any advice on things I could do to improve the strength of my application or suggestions of programs that I might have a shot at would be great.

Thank you!

You might have a shot at lower ranked schools for masters. Master's admissions are much less competitive than phd admissions, however, your math grades are still somewhat too low for top programs. Don't bother taking the math GRE subject test. The test is mandatory for applying to math phd and it covers mostly calculus and linear algebra, some basic real/complex analysis and abstract algebra. However, without a solid background in calculus and linear algebra and a few proof-based math courses, you will struggle to hit the 50th percentile.

Yeah, I’m definitely not aiming for any really competitive programs because I don’t think that’d be realistic. It’s good to know it’s not worth it for me to take the math subject test. I’ll just focus on getting a good score on the general GRE test instead.

Thanks for the response!