Trying to Gain Confidence in App Process

Hey Grad Cafe Community, 

Long time reader, first time poster. I am entering my second round of applications, this time for a Soc PhD. Originally, I applied to Anth PhD programs fresh out of undergrad, which in hindsight, I fully understand and agree with not being admitted. That being said, after several years of "real world" experience and a more mature mind (I like to think) I believe I am in a better position to apply and (hopefully) get admitted. With that being said, I am just looking for advice for the personal statement/achievements and diversity page. I struggle in comparison to people I see who have completed research fellowships abroad, had "sexier" experiences since undergrad. Any tips especially from those who went in the professional world between undergrad and grad would be highly appreciated! TY! 

29 minutes ago, laurynap said:

Hey Grad Cafe Community, 

Long time reader, first time poster. I am entering my second round of applications, this time for a Soc PhD. Originally, I applied to Anth PhD programs fresh out of undergrad, which in hindsight, I fully understand and agree with not being admitted. That being said, after several years of "real world" experience and a more mature mind (I like to think) I believe I am in a better position to apply and (hopefully) get admitted. With that being said, I am just looking for advice for the personal statement/achievements and diversity page. I struggle in comparison to people I see who have completed research fellowships abroad, had "sexier" experiences since undergrad. Any tips especially from those who went in the professional world between undergrad and grad would be highly appreciated! TY! 

I strongly and respectfully recommend that you step away from the frame of mind in which you're comparing yourself to either your former self or to other applicants. Instead, I urge you to focus on [1] who you are now, and [2] the journey you've taken to get to your here and now. How can you tell a story about [1] and [2] that will convince readers that their department, the graduate program, the profession, and you will all benefit from your participation?

Also, please purge from your mind any comparison between "the real world" and anywhere else. The Ivory Tower frequently grapples with social and cultural and economic issues years, if not decades, before they are experienced on Main Street. This isn't to say that there aren't significant differences, experiences, risks, and outcomes. This is simply to say that a "real world" vs not "real world" mindset will not help you too much as an applicant. A big piece of everyday life is about jumping through others' hoops gracefully, even when the hoops are moving, in flames, and contrived.